The ADE works to address specialized data requests as time and resources allow. Statute, policy, and the ADE Research Agenda guide the ADE's decision for honoring requests. As a result, not all specialized data requests will be fulfilled.
Specialized data requests are those requests that are seeking data that is aggregated (school-level, LEA-level, state-level, etc.) and are redacted according to ADE redaction policy.
- All data provided through a specialized data request will be reviewed and redacted to protect the confidentiality of student records, educator records, and other private information under state law.
- Under Arizona Law A.R.S. §15-1043, student records are not considered public records
- Data provided through a specialized data request will be aggregated and redacted with an asterisk (*) to indicate student counts less than 11 in acocrdance with FERPA and ADE standards.
- The ADE does not fulfill specialized data requests for commercial enterprises.
- The ADE is not able to format files for requeters.
When submitting a specialized data request, please be as specific as possible regarding the data elements you are requesting and the intended use of the data to ensure that the ADE is able to process your request in a timely manner.
Specialized data requests will be reviewed by the appropriate program area to determine if the request will be fulfilled.
Submit a Request
In order to maintain the strictest privacy protection on personally identifiable and confidential student data, while also support research that is in alignment with statute, policy, and the ADE Research Agenda, the ADE has established a Restricted Data Request Process.
Restricted data requests are those requests that are seeking student-level data or aggregated data that has not been redacted.
Given the privacy concerns related to the sharing of restricted data, these requests are thoroughly reviewed and vetted prior to the sharing of any data. As a result, not all restricted data requests will be fulfilled.
The process for Restricted Data Requests is outlined below.
- Requestor submits request will all required components (including project proposal and researcher resume)
- Request materials are shared with the Data Request Review team
- Follow-up questions from review of request materials are sent to requestor
- Data Request Review team determines if request is approved
- If approved, a Data Sharing Agreement is created between ADE and the requestor’s organization
- ADE staff sets up a time for requestor to visit ADE on-site to conduct analysis (due to constraints related to COVID-19, alternate access arrangements may be discussed)
- Requestor conducts analysis using ADE computers/connection and aggregates final output
- Aggregated output is reviewed by ADE staff and if approved is securely sent to requestor
- Requestor shares any publications of data with ADE for review prior to publishing
- Data is destroyed as outlined in the Data Sharing Agreement
Please note, advanced statistical analysis skills are required to access data provided through Restricted Data Requests. Requestors must be able to utilize statistical analysis programs (i.e. SAS, SQL, SPSS), join databases and execute queries. The ADE is not able to provide data formatting or perform analysis for requestors.
Submit a Request