Student Data Privacy (e.g., FERPA)
The Arizona Department of Education (ADE) is committed to maintaining transparency of government and providing actionable information to parents, educators, and the community, while closely guarding the Personally Identifiable Information (PII) of Arizona's students.
Use the below to learn more about student data in Arizona and about resources available to schools and charters/districts (LEAs) to better utilize and protect student data.
The ADE collects the following student data from schools/LEAs:
- Student name and demographics
- School enrollment
- Arizona standardized test scores (i.e. AzM2)
- Eligibility for free/reduced price lunch
- Eligibility and participation in special education services
- Eligibility and participation in other specialized programs/services (i.e. English Learner, Homeless student, Migrant student)
The ADE uses student data for a variety of purposes to meet statutory and federal requirements and to assist in providing key services to Arizona schools, students, and families. These purposes include:
- Calculating and reporting Arizona A-F Letter Grades for schools
- Calculating and administering funding to LEAs
- Annual reporting to the U.S. Department of Education
- Generating annual Public Data Sets
- Collection, review, validation, and analysis of Special Education data
- Administering school meal programs.
- Administering state and federal programs to meet the educational and cultural needs of Native American students both on and off reservations
- and more...
There are both Federal and State laws that protect the privacy and personally identifiable information of students.
- Arizona Revised Statutes § 15-142 - Access to directory information relating to pupils and to school property; violation
- Arizona Revised Statutes § 15-117 - Surveys; pupil information; parental permission and informed consent; penalties; definitions
- Arizona Revised Statutes § 15- 1046 - Student data privacy; definitions
Additional information about individual state student privacy laws is available through Student Privacy Compass here.
The National Forum on Education Statistics publishes resources for schools, local education agencies (LEAs), and state education agencies on a variety of education related issues. Below are a sample of those resources specifically related to student/data privacy for schools and LEAs.
- Forum Guide to Protecting the Privacy of Student Information: State and Local Education Agencies
- Forum Guide to Education Data Privacy
- The Forum Guide to Data Ethics
- Forum Guide to Cybersecurity: Safeguarding Your Data
- Forum Guide to Building a Culture of Quality Data: A School and District Resource
- Forum Guide to Support Data Access for Researchers: A Local Education Agency Perspective
- Forum Guide to Reporting Civil Rights Data
- Analyzing Student-Level Disciplinary Data: A Guide for Districts
- Student Privacy Compass - For LEAs
While schools, LEAs and state education agencies have important steps to take to protect student privacy, students and families must also play a role. Below are some great resources for students and families to better understand and protect student data privacy.