On June 24th, the Arizona State Legislature passed H.B. 2853, which expands the Empowerment Scholarship Account Program. On July 7th, the Governor signed the bill which has an anticipated effective date of September 24th. For the most current update on the Department's implementation plan and details on how and when to apply, please click here.
As a reminder, although the ESA application is open for current eligibility categories, we cannot yet accept applications for those qualifying under the expansion.
NEW! H.B. 2853 Frequently Asked Questions
(Date updated: 7/28/22)
New to ESA?
In addition to our ESA Parent Handbook, the ESA Parent Guide is a great place to start!
To request a debit card, please contact ClassWallet at [email protected] or 1-877-969-5536.
- ESA is now accepting applications for the 2022-2023 school year!
- Current ESA students do not need to reapply each year to continue in the program. Renewal contracts have now gone out. Make sure to electronically sign and return! If you have not received your renewal contract, please contact us at 602-364-1969.
Are you new to ESA? Join us for ESA 101 on August 9th from 12-1pm.
Bring your questions! Register here!
Learn more about ClassWallet! Join us on August 16th from 12-1pm.
We'll talk about the Marketplace, using the debit card and more! Bring your questions! Register here!
Video of the May 12th ESA Parent Handbook Town Hall is available at May 12th ESA Parent Handbook, the passcode is: c*1jR6**
Video of the January 11th ESA 101 Town Hall is available at January 11th ESA 101, the passcode is: sF0dn+Tc
What is an ESA?
- Expands educational opportunities for eligible students outside of the public school system
- Provides public funding that can be used for a wide variety of educational expenses
- Pays for private school tuition, educational therapies, tutoring and more
Who Qualifies for an ESA?
- Preschool students with special needs
- K-12 students with special needs
- Children of active-duty military parent
- Children of a military parent killed in the line of duty
- Children of parent who is legally blind, deaf or hard of hearing
- Students attending a D or F rated school
- Students residing within a Native American Reservation
- Siblings of current or previous ESA recipient
- Student who was a ward of the court
- Previous ESA recipients
Learn more about eligibility requirements