K-8 CAREER LITERACY
Download K-8 Standards Career Literacy Teacher Professional Development K-8 Curricular Resources K-8 Media Resources Contact
What is K-8 Career Literacy?
Arizona Career Literacy is a K-8 educational process aimed at providing students with scaffolded, age-appropriate opportunities that will enable them to make informed decisions about their futures.
This process is iterative as students gain guided exposure to the world around them. Arizona's career literacy initiative starts foundationally in career awareness with Kindergarten to 4th grade students and develops into career exploration for 5th-8th graders.
Our program standards aim to develop essential professional skills, gain workplace exposures, explore passions and interests as related to career fields.
Goals of Arizona K-8 Career Literacy
ADE CTE Career literacy prepares students to be prepared to navigate their high school experience through a career focus lens.
- Develop and release K-8 standards based on the high school AZ Professional Skills with strategies for educators
- Equip 8th grade students with knowledge to advocate for the CTE skills training needed in high school that will help them build a career pathway plan
- Provide career awareness exposures and activities tied to standards for K-4th grade students
- Scaffolded career explorations lessons tied to standards for 5th-8th grade students
- Practice Professional (Soft) Skills in an educational setting
Spotlight on Career Literacy
K-8 Career Literacy Curricular Resources
- Arizona Career Literacy Standards were developed in 2019. They are a valuable resource that offers classroom strategies, activities, and essential questions for grades K-8.
- The Possible Futures Career Exploration Curriculum - Lessons are aligned to the Arizona 8th Grade Career Literacy Standards and aim to help learners in grades 6 through 10 develop essential employability skills, explore STEM occupations, and better understand themselves and the world of work.
- My Future AZ - Our Educational Career Action Planning (ECAP) tool that has a career exploration assessment available for middle school students.
- CTE Standards-Assessment-Career Literacy Team Bulletin
- ADE Career Technical Student Organizations (CTSOs) promote choice and identification of career options and foster interpersonal skills in teamwork, communications, human relations, and social interactions. Hosts events for Middle School Students - Calendar
- Arizona Professional Skills Standards - Although these standards of "soft skills" are intended for high school CTE Students, they can be unpacked for the primary levels.
- Work-Based Learning - Connecting Every Learner: A Framework for States to Increase Access To and Success In Work-Based Learning
- Arizona Business & Education Coalition (ABEC) - The mission of ABEC is to sustain collaboration between business and education leaders, focused on increasing measurable outcomes for every student. ABEC's Career Exploration & Development (ACED) program provides the foundation and proven strategies to engage business AND education in creating meaningful career exploration programs.
- Arizona Pathways to Prosperity, led by Center for the Future of AZ (CFA) is part of a national network in collaboration with Jobs for the Future and the Harvard Graduate School of Education and is committed to building systems of college and career pathways. CFA's Pathways team offers services to support the launch and scaling of career exploration programs in a variety of settings.
- The Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE) publishes reports, articles, guides, and toolkits to help develop and support a high-quality career development system.
- Pipeline AZ contains a career matching and resource engine that is tied into My Future AZ ECAP - Pipeline AZ Career Assessment
- Jobs for the Future (JFF) is a national nonprofit that drives change in the American workforce and education systems to achieve economic advancement for all. They are the developer of the Pathways to Prosperity Project
- Junior Achievement (JA) - Access videos and activities for grades K-8 so students can learn valuable lessons related to work readiness, financial literacy, and entrepreneurship, wherever they are learning
- Career conversation starters by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) - A great resource to help educators determine the student's needs based on the corresponding ASCA Mindsets & Behaviors.
- Middle School Career Conversations "When thinking of your future, are there any skills you would like to further develop?" - English ~ Spanish
- Elementary School Career Conversations "If you woke up tomorrow and were an adult, what career would you like to have?" - English ~ Spanish
Career Literacy Teacher Professional Development
Career Literacy Media Resources
CTE Career Development Program Specialist
Arizona Department of Education
Career and Technical Education
Email: [email protected]
Desk: (602) 542-5540