The Exceptional Student Services (ESS) Program Management team distributes IDEA entitlement and discretionary grants to eligible Public Education Agencies (PEA) throughout Arizona. The grant application process is facilitated through the grants management system. Grants are approved, amended, and financially monitored through this system. Programmatic monitoring for IDEA grants is facilitated between the program management team and the program support and monitoring specialist in ESS.
Fiscal Year 2018 Allocations have been reconciled and the final adjustments loaded into Grants Management.
The amounts loaded into Grants Management reflect the following:
- Original allocated amount
- Forfeited funds from the congressional reduction mid-year
- Additional funds from federal government reinstating the funds from the congressional reduction plus final adjustments for new, expanding, and closing public education agencies (PEAs)
All grant applications (that have not been waived) have been put into revised status to allow users to apply for a revision to utilize these funds. Any PEA that has waived the allocation may contact ESS Program Management if they now wish to utilize the funding application.
The full letter can be found here – FY2018 Final Allocation Adjustments & Information on FY2019 Allocations
IDEA Entitlement Grant
Charter School Requirements
New/Expanding Charter Schools
34 CFR Part 76, Subpart H describes how charters can receive IDEA Entitlement funds. The ADE (Arizona Department of Education) requires that a charter notify ESS (Exceptional Student Services) in order to obtain an allocation or an expansion to an allocation in the same year that the respective event occurs. Any entities participating in this process will be worked into the IDEA Basic grant application. (The Charter School Expansion Act Grant is no longer used)
Notice and Information
For programmatic questions, please email ESS Program Management which includes:
- Funding Applications
- Completion Report programmatic issues
- Proportionate Share
- Coordinated Early Intervening Services (CEIS)
- Maintenance of Effort general supervision and oversight
For fiscal questions, please email Grants which includes:
- Reimbursement requests
- Completion Reports expenditures
- Maintenance of Effort review and processing
For questions on ESS Census, please email ESS Data Management.