AZELLA Mid-Year Placement Testing
November 16 – December 18, 2020
Grades 1 - 12 (Stages II, III, IV, and V) EL students with a current and Eligible for EL Services AZELLA test record who have NOT been administered an AZELLA Placement Test during the current school year.
EL students who qualify for Mid-Year AZELLA Placement testing for potential transfer to mainstream classrooms must have the Moving from EL Services to Mainstream (updated 10/17/2019) filled out, including the required signatures and filed in the students’ cumulative files. This form is posted on the ADE web site, Assessment/AZELLA web page (http://www.azed.gov/assessment/dtc/) under AZELLA tab > Forms and must be made available (electronically) to ADE upon request.
- Students do not qualify for the Mid-Year AZELLA Placement Testing if they have already been administered a Placement Test during the current school year.
- UPDATED - Students who are enrolled in EL Services with an ILLP are NOT eligible to participate in the Mid-Year Placement Testing because they are already in a mainstream classroom.
- Students who have a Parent Withdrawal EL services enrollment are NOT eligible to participate in the Mid-Year Placement Testing because the purpose of the Mid-Year Placement Test is move a student out of EL program services. Those who have the PW enrollment are already in the mainstream classroom.
- Kindergarten students are NOT eligible to participate in the Mid-Year Placement Testing.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS for this Mid-Year Placement Testing
- Grades 1 - 12 students whose last AZELLA test record is dated during the 2019 - 2020 School Year with an Overall Proficiency Level of INTERMEDIATE.
- Total Combined proficiency level must be Intermediate or Proficient.
- Reading proficiency level must be Intermediate or Proficient.
- Writing proficiency level must be Intermediate or Proficient.
- Students must have completed at least 9 weeks of SEI or Bilingual/Dual Language Services during the current school year prior to November 16, 2020. If the student has attended more than 1 school during the current school year, you may combine the weeks.
Students being tested must be created, registered, and assigned the appropriate AZELLA Placement Test in PearsonAccessnext between November 16 – December 18, 2020.
DTCs or School Test Coordinators must create Mid-Year Placement Testing Sessions by Stage (III - V) in PAN for each school participating and add students to the appropriate Session.
- Stage III Mid-Year Placement Testing
- Stage IV Mid-Year Placement Testing
- Stage V Mid-Year Placement Testing
Placement Tests must be completed and submitted for scoring no later than the close of business on Friday, December 20, 2019.
By November 6, 2020, districts must send ADE ([email protected]) the EL to Mainstream Mid-Year AZELLA Placement Testing FY 2020 spreadsheet by district and schools within the district with the following information for those students being recommended for the Mid-Year Placement Testing. Forms received after November 6, 2020, will be rejected.
- Grade Level
- Last AZELLA Test Record Date (MUST be dated during School Year 2018-2019)
- Overall Proficiency Level
- Proficiency Levels and Scale Scores for Total Combined, Reading, and Writing
- Date of Current FY EL Services Enrollment
- EL Services (SEI or Bilingual)
Students who score “Proficient” for their Overall Proficiency Level on the Mid-Year Placement Test are to be moved to mainstream classes and will NOT participate in the Spring 2021 AZELLA Reassessment testing.
Students who score an Overall Proficiency Level of less than Proficient on the Mid-Year Placement Test will remain in EL services and must participate in the Spring 2021 AZELLA Reassessment testing.