Structured Literacy and English Learners
Over 5 million English learners attend public school today. Close to 80% of those speak Spanish. A Structured Literacy approach emphasizes the structure of language across the speech sound system (phonology), the writing system (orthography), the structure of sentences (syntax), the meaningful parts of words (morphology), the relationships among words (semantics), and the organization of spoken and written discourse. (IDA/CERI, 2018c, March)
A Structured Literacy framework directly addresses literacy and language.
Ep. 119: How Reading Science Works for English Learners Podcast
Dr. Elsa Cardenas-Hagan joins this podcast to share that reading science works for English Learners.
Listen and follow along for these key points:
- [6:05-11:35] Be comprehensive in our approach. Structured Literacy encompasses the idea that language is necessary for reading.
- [14:25-16:20; 21:25-22:20] Why literacy foundational skills are crucial for EL students.
- [16:53- 20:40; 25:35-26:30] Approach EL literacy instruction with an asset-based mindset.
Connect with literacy expert, Dr. Elsa Cardenas-Hagan, on Linkedin or Twitter.
Effective Literacy and English Language Instruction for English Learners in the Elementary Grades (ed.gov)
Read the article from What Works Clearinghouse for keys points on the effectiveness of Structured Literacy for ELs.
- (Page 37) “Before English learners are reading, the development of age-appropriate academic English— morphology, syntax, vocabulary—can be accelerated orally through planned and deliberate daily instruction.”
Literacy Book Study
Literacy Foundations for English Learners: A Comprehensive Guide to Evidence-Based Instruction
by Dr. Elsa Cardenas-Hagan
Dr. Cardenas-Hagan addresses the literacy foundational skills needed to enhance reading outcomes for the more than 5 million ELs. She addresses the critical features of instruction in literacy for ELs- including the cross-linguistic transfer of knowledge of phonological awareness in multiple languages. In addition to foundational skills, the book addresses reading fluency and entire chapters devoted to spelling and writing-often not adequately addressed considering the reciprocal roles of reading and writing.
To order: products.brookespublishing.com/Literacy-Foundations-for-English-Learners-P1192.aspx (20% Discount Code from Brookes Publishing: ADE2023)
Book Study Details:
- Virtual book chats will take place over 8 Tuesdays starting 1/10 through 3/7 (no book study on 2/14).
- 4:30-5:30 MST
- All participants must register in the ADE APLD system to receive credit - each session is offered individually.
- All participants who register in APLD, read their chapters, and attend the book study will be given 2-hours PD credit. (For a total of 16 hours of PD!)
- Register - search for "literacy book study" to narrow down your search.