Education of Homeless Children & Youth Grant
Subtitle VII-B of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act authorizes the federal Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) Grant Program, and serves as the primary piece of federal legislation related to the education of children and youth experiencing homelessness. The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act was reauthorized in December 2015 by Title IX, Part A of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
FY24 EHCY Grant Information, Application Materials, and Resources
The EHCY grant runs on a three-year grant cycle to supplement, not supplant the existing services provided to all students to eliminate specific barriers to the identification, enrollment, attendance, and academic success of children and youth experiencing homelessness (42 U.S.C. § 11433(a)(3)). FY24 is the first year of the three-year EHCY grant cycle.
EHCY grant funds are awarded on a highly competitive basis and selection will be made based on the proposed project’s quality, an assessment of the educational and related needs of students, and the ability of the applicant to meet these needs. Applicants must be able to demonstrate need by having a minimum of 50 students experiencing homelessness enrolled in the LEA. An LEA may consider joining a consortium comprised of LEA Consortium Members within their service area or zip code to meet or exceed the minimum threshold requirement of this grant application.
- Application Open Date: March 1, 2023
- Application Close Date: May 1, 2023
- Project Start Date: July 1, 2023
- Project End Date: September 30. 2024
EHCY Subgrantee Allocations
The U.S. Department of Education allocates EHCY funding to each state based on the state's share of Title I, Part A funds. States may retain up to 25% of the EHCY funding for state-level program administration, and distribute at least 75% of the funds to subgrant Local Education Agencies (LEAs).
The State Education Agency (SEA) must facilitate a competitive subgrant process at least once every three years to allocate EHCY funds to LEAs. The next competitive EHCY funding cycle will begin July 1, 2023. The FY24 EHCY grant application opens March 1, 2023 and closes May 1, 2023.
- FY21 Preliminary EHCY Allocations - Competitive
- FY23 Official EHCY Allocations (September 2022) - Entitlement
EHCY Subgrant Budget Resources
- USFR for Arizona School Districts
- EHCY Grant Budget Cheat Sheet
- McKinney-Vento EHCY Allowable Uses of Funds (1-16)
- EHCY & ARP-HCY Use of Funds Tip Sheet
- Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) Reference Document
- Title I-A Set-Aside Allowable Uses and Guidance for Homeless Children and Youth
- EHCY Budget Revision Guidance
- EHCY Budget Narrative Description Guidance