Welcome to ESA
The Empowerment Scholarship Account (ESA) program is an account administered by The Arizona Department of Education that is funded by state tax dollars to provide educational options for qualified Arizona students. By opting out of the public school system, parents can seek a range of alternative educational services, such as private school or home-based education, to tailor an individualized educational plan that is best for their child. The ESA program is not affiliated with any services, providers, vendors or websites, please ensure you are referring to our website and documents for program direction.
News and Updates
- We appreciate your patience as we diligently work through the high volume of calls, e-mails, and applications.
- Electronic Renewal contracts were sent out on June 19th – June 20th via the e-mail on file, if the account is set to e-mail preferred.
- Paper Renewal Contracts sent via postal mail (if the account is set to postal-preferred) are still being processed. We appreciate your patience and are working to send out these contracts for the 2019/2020 school year.
- ESA phone line hours:
- Monday – Thursday: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Friday: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- If an application for ESA is determined to be incomplete (missing required documentation and/or information), it will be denied.
- If you are ever unsure of what documents are required, or will be accepted, always call ESA 602-364-1969 (or e-mail [email protected]).
- If an application is denied, you can always reapply.
- For a pupil withdrawal document: the applicant will only have 60 days to return this document to the department. If they fail to send it in within 60 days, the application will be closed automatically and they must reapply.
- Current recipients: Quarter 1 funding will be dispersed July 15th through July 30th.
- Prospective Recipients:
- Both renewal and new contracts will have a 30-day lifespan, meaning that if the contract is not returned within 30 days of being sent, the application will close and they are eligible to reapply.
- Contracts can only be issued once ESA can verify the student is no longer enrolled in public school.
- Renewals (for 19/20) will not be issued if the account has not been funded in the 18/19 school year.
- Expense Reports: The Quarter 1 Expense Report is due September 30th.
About ESA and Applying for ESA:
Eligibility & Application