RELATED SERVICES INFO: Credentialing Requirements for Speech Personnel Working in Public Schools

Published: July 3rd, 2019

Dear Special Education Administrators,

It has recently come to ADE’s attention that there is some confusion about the credentialing requirements for speech personnel working in the public schools. Speech-Language Technicians (SLTs) and Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) must hold both a current license from the Arizona Department of Health Services (AZDHS) and a current professional non-teaching certificate from the Arizona Department of Education (ADE). Speech-Language Pathology Assistants (SLPAs) are only required to hold a current license from AZDHS; the ADE does not issue a certificate for SLPAs.

PEAs are responsible for verifying that speech personnel working with their students hold the appropriate credentials. The potential repercussions of providing speech-language services without the appropriate credentials are serious for both the individual and the public education agency (PEA), regardless of whether they were employed directly by the PEA or contracted through a staffing agency.

Speech personnel should provide a copy of the required credentials prior to employment. You may confirm the AZDHS license by entering the holder’s name in the AZDHS’ Care Check Portal. District and charter school HR administrators may confirm the ADE certificate through the Certification Portal via their ADE Connect account.

For additional information about the provision of speech services in the schools, please refer to ADE/ESS’ Arizona Technical Assistance System (AZ-TAS) document, “Speech-Language Services in Arizona’s Schools: Guidelines for Best Practice” on the ADE website. Please forward this information to any interested parties, including your PEA’s HR office.

Questions can be directed to [email protected].

See this graphic for further information.