Standard Certificates Under Reciprocity Rules

The Arizona Department of Education Certification Unit may issue a comparable teaching, administrative, or professional non-teaching certificate to an applicant who holds a valid, comparable certificate in another state and is in good standing in that other state. Applicants may also qualify to add additional approved areas or endorsements to existing teaching certificates if they hold a valid, comparable approved area or endorsement in another state. Individuals who qualify under Certification Reciprocity Rules are exempt from Arizona educator exam requirements.

The following documents should be submitted to apply under Certification Reciprocity:

  1. An Application for Certification
  2. A photocopy of your valid Arizona Department of Safety Identity Verified Prints (IVP) fingerprint clearance card.
  3. A photocopy of your valid, comparable out-of-state educator certificate.
  4. Your official transcripts or foreign credential evaluation.
  5. The appropriate fee ($60 per certificate, endorsement, or additional approved area requested).
Reciprocity Related Forms
Certificate Application: 
Certification Application Form [PDF]

Application to Transfer a Provisional Certificate to Standard:
Application to Transfer Provisional to Standard [PDF]

Reciprocity Frequently Asked Questions:

Question:  What if my certificate from another state is deemed inactive?
Answer: An inactive certificate from another state will not meet the requirements for certification under reciprocity rules. In order to qualify under reciprocity, the applicant must hold a valid, comparable certificate from another state and be in good standing with that other state. In order to meet these requirements, the out-of-state certificate must be valid for employment in public schools.

Question: What teaching certificates are not reciprocal?
Answer:  Until your application and required documents are evaluated by the Certification Unit, we cannot ensure that your out-of-state certificate will meet requirements under reciprocity rules. Please be aware that out-of-state certificates must meet the following criteria to qualify:

  • The certificate must be comparable to an Arizona Standard certificate. Out-of-State Emergency Teaching or Alternative Teaching certificates will not be accepted.

Question: I graduated from a teacher preparation program in another state, but I do not hold an out-of-state certificate. How can I qualify for an Arizona teaching certificate? 
Answer: You may qualify for an Arizona teaching certificate by meeting the specific coursework and exam requirements for that certificate. You may review the requirements for all Arizona educator certificates at our Forms and Information – Certificate page.