For immediate release: September 19, 2023
Contact: [email protected]
Horne applauds four Arizona “Blue Ribbon Schools”
Recognition from U.S. Department of Education
PHOENIX – Four Arizona public schools have been named National Blue Ribbon Schools by the U.S. Department of Education, also earning praise from State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Horne.
The recognition is based on overall academic performance or progress in closing student achievement gaps.
The schools are:
- Gilbert – Neely Traditional Academy, Gilbert Public Schools.
- Phoenix – Fireside Elementary School, Paradise Valley Unified School District.
- Tucson – Senita Valley Elementary School, Vail School District.
- Tucson – Sunrise Drive Elementary School, Catalina Foothills Unified District.
Horne said, “These schools can be justifiably proud of this accomplishment because it is based on academic excellence. My top priority as Superintendent is for continuous improvement in academic achievement, and Blue Ribbon Schools demonstrate that when schools lead students into challenging themselves, they will soar academically.”
According to the U.S. Department of Education, it recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High-Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap-Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students. Nominated schools also complete an extensive narrative application describing their school culture and philosophy, curriculum, assessments, instructional practices, professional development, leadership structures, and parent and community involvement.