AIMS A Science
Arizona’s Instrument to Measure Standards Alternate (AIMS A), administered by the Arizona Department of Education (ADE), measures what students know and are able to do in the content area of Science as presented in the Arizona Alternate Academic Standards. Students will receive test reports with specific information detailing their progress toward meeting the standards. (For the content areas of ELA and Mathematics, please see the ADE MSAA web page).
Testing Dates and Updates
AIMS A Science
- – Grades 4, 8, and 10 only
- Testing Window: February 3 through February 28, 2020
MSAA (NCSC) ELA & Mathematics
- -Grades 3-8, and 11
- Testing Window: March 16 through May 1, 2020
- District Test Coordinator Handbook 2019-2020
- PowerPoint: Alternate Assessment Updates-Director’s Institute 2019
- District Test Coordinators Checklist 2019-2020
AIMS A Science Closes Feb 28; MSAA Opens March2 (2-27-2020) ALERT Alternate Assessment Update-Student Selector Application (10-11-2019) Instructions -Student Selector Application 2019 (10-11-2019) Alternate Assessment Fall Apprises-Sept 2019 (9-12-2019) ALERT MSAA Reporting 2019 (9-13-2019)
—Alternate Assessment based on Alternate Achievement Standards (AA-AAS) -this is a term that is used to describe an Alternate Assessment. Alternate Achievement Standards are not the same as Alternate Academic Standards.
—Alternate Achievement Standards -descriptors of how well a student may demonstrate proficiency via the alternate assessment.
—Alternate Academic Standards -standards developed for students with significant cognitive disabilities and were aligned to Arizona’s Academic Content Standards. [The previous Alternate Academic Standards for Reading and Mathematics are no longer applicable; they were removed and archived.]
AIMS A Science (grades 4, 8, and 10 only) This assessment will continue to be administered with multiple choice and performance tasks.
MSAA (NCSC) ELA and Mathematics (grades 3-8 and 11th grade)
IMPORTANT: IEP teams must remember to address assessment eligibility and accommodations for both alternate assessments, AIMS A (Science) and MSAA NCSC (ELA and Math).
Information regarding MSAA (NCSC) accommodations and eligibility criteria can be located on the ADE MSAA (NCSC) webpage under General Information.
- What About Those Dual Labeled Students — OELAS Conference 2019
- Academic Instruction Students with Cognitive Disabilities –Teachers Institute 2019
Presentations – 2019 Webinars
- 1% Threshold Action Plans — 11/18/2019 Webinar
- Arizona’s Learner Characteristics Inventory — 11/12/2019 Webinar
- Alt Assessment Test Coordinator Role & Responsibilities — 11/08/2019 Webinar
- Eligibility Determination for Alternate Assessment — 10/31/2019 Webinar
Please contact us at (602) 542-8239 or at [email protected] if you have any questions.
If you have students enrolled in Grades 4, 8, and 10 for the 2019-2020 school year and are eligible to take the alternate assessment, then please schedule time to take the required training:
December 18 – January 31, 2020:
- 2019-2020 AIMS A Science Online Training for TCs is available until January 31, 2020
- MSAA training modules for both TCs and TAs Opens March 4
If you have any questions, please contact us at [email protected] or at (602) 542-8239.
Manuals, Forms & Test Samples
- Alternate Assessment Eligibility Criteria-Revised July-19 (MSAA ELA and Math and AIMS A Science)
- LCI (Learner Characteristics Inventory) for Alternate Assessments Based on Alternate Academic Achievement Standards
MANUALS & Sample Reports
- AIMS A Science 2020 Test Manual (TC and TA Combined Manual)
- 2016 AIMS A Science Sample Reports
- AIMS A Test Samples Instructions 2013
Observation Forms MSAA and AIMS A
Test Security Agreements 2019-2020
- 2019-2020 Assessment Test Security Agreement for Superintendent/District Test Coordinator
- 2019-2020 Alternate Assessment Test Security Agreement for Test Administrator – -Do not return to ADE. keep the signed form(s) at district office for 6 years.
- 11/18/2019 1% Threshold Action Plans 2019 Presentation— –Click for Recorded Webinar
- 1% Justification per District-School Year 2017-2018
- Action Plan 1% Cap (Threshold) Template 2019
- Notification Delay-Action Plan 1% Cap (Threshold)
- 2018 – 1% Cap (Threshold) Action Plan 1% Cap (Threshold) Webinar 2018 PowerPoint
Webinar Link: Click here for Recorded 11/06/2018 Webinar
Videos and Webinars
Performance Tasks Videos – The following Performance Tasks Script and Lessons in PDF format are available for you to download. Select the PDF link or the video link.
Webinars for Test Coordinators: Please visit the Test Coordinators (TCs) page under the “Alternate Assessment”tab:
Please contact us by emailing the Alternate Assessment inbox [email protected] or at (602) 542-8239.
Bethany Spangenberg (Formerly “Zimmerman”) Director of Alternate Assessment [email protected] (602) 542-4061
Courtney Pearce Alternate Assessment Test Coordinator [email protected] (602) 542-3059
Sabiha Klepk Assessment Accommodations Specialist [email protected] (602) 364-1296
Angeles Swasey Program and Project Specialist [email protected] (602) 542-8239