Secondary ELA Book Study: Reading for Understanding
- Thu, May 26 2022 - Thu, May 26 2022 • Virtual
- Middle School High School Academic Standards English Language Arts
Join the ADE English Language Arts Team for a FREE Secondary ELA Focused 8-week book study!
Consecutive Thursdays, starting April 7th, from 4:30-5:30 MST. Everyone is welcome!
Text: Reading for Understanding: How Reading Apprenticeship Improves Disciplinary Learning in Secondary and College Classrooms, 2nd Edition by Cynthia Greenleaf, Ruth Schoenbach, and Lynn Murphy
To order: https://bit.ly/3tyHDFz
This significantly updated edition of Reading for Understanding shows how teachers and students can work together to boost literacy, engagement, and achievement. Specifically, this book helps readers use the Reading Apprenticeship® framework to increase student engagement and academic achievement in subject area classes. Research has documented the effectiveness of Reading Apprenticeship for helping students gain the reading independence to master subject area course materials and other texts. This book is fantastic – you will walk away with so many strategies for boosting reading comprehension and literacy across the subject areas.
- 4/7 Chapter 1 - “Engaged Academic Literacy for All”
- 4/14 Chapter 2 - “The Reading Apprenticeship Framework”
- 4/21 Chapter 3 - “The Social and Personal Dimensions: Building a Foundation for Engaged Learning”
- 4/28 Chapter 4 - “Metacognitive Conversation: Making Thinking Visible”
- 5/5 Chapter 5 - “Extensive Academic Reading: Extending Opportunities and Support”
- 5/12 Chapter 6 - “Sustained Silent Reading+: Dedicating Time for Independent Reading”
- 5/19 Chapter 7 - “The Cognitive Dimension: Assembling a Reading Toolbox”
- 5/26 Chapter 8 - “The Knowledge-Building Dimension: Surfacing and Building Schema in the Disciplines”
Participants must register for each week’s session individually. All participants who register in EMS, read their chapter, and attend the book study will be given 2-hours PD credit. Certificates will be in EMS and no record of attendance will be emailed.
Zoom link will be individually emailed to registrants the day of the webinar. Registration closes at 10 AM on Thursdays.
Please feel free to share this flyer with your colleagues!
DateThu, May 26 2022 - Thu, May 26 2022
Time4:30PM - 5:30PM
- Middle School
- High School