Secondary ELA Book Study: Effective Instruction for Middle School Students with Reading Difficulties
- Thu, Jan 26 2023 - Thu, Jan 26 2023 • Virtual
- Middle School High School Academic Standards English Language Arts
Join the ADE English Language Arts Team for a FREE Secondary ELA Focused 9-week book study!
Thursdays from 4:30 to 5:30 MST, January 12 through through March 16th (no meeting on 2/2). Everyone is welcome!
Text: Effective Instruction for Middle School Students with Reading Difficulties by Carolyn Denton, Sharon Vaughn, Jade Wexler, Deanna Bryan, and Deborah Reed
To order: https://bit.ly/2WhakKL (20% Discount Code from Brookes Publishing: ADE2023)
This book arms language arts teachers with the lessons, strategies, and foundational knowledge they need to resolve older students' reading difficulties and increase their chances for academic success. Ideal for use with struggling readers in Grades 6 and up, this book clearly lays out the fundamentals of effective teaching for adolescents with reading difficulties.
- 1/12 Intro and Chapter 1 "A Schoolwide Approach to Reading Intervention"
- 1/19 Chapters 2-4 "Assessment"
- 1/26 Chapters 5-6 "Effective Instruction"
- NO MEETING 2/2
- 2/9 Chapter 7 "Comprehension" (1st half of chapter)
- 2/16 Chapter 7 "Comprehension" (rest of chapter)
- 2/23 Chapter 8 "Vocabulary" (1st half of chapter)
- 3/2 Chapter 8 "Vocabulary" (rest of chapter)
- 3/9 Chapter 9 "Fluency"
- 3/16 Chapter 10 "Word Recognition"
Participants must register for each week’s session individually. All participants who register in ADE APLD, read their chapter, and attend the book study will be given 2-hours PD credit. Certificates will be in APLD and no record of attendance will be emailed.
Zoom link will be individually emailed to registrants the day of the webinar. Registration closes at 10 AM on Thursdays.
Please feel free to share this flyer with your colleagues!
DateThu, Jan 26 2023 - Thu, Jan 26 2023
Time4:30PM - 5:30PM
- Middle School
- High School