Literacy Book Study: Literacy Foundations for English Learners
- Tue, Feb 7 2023 - Tue, Feb 7 2023 • Virtual
- K-12 Elementary School Middle School High School Kindergarten Academic Standards English Language Arts English Learners
Join the ADE English Language Arts Team for a FREE Literacy Focused 8-week book study. Tuesdays from 4:30-5:30 MST (1/10 through 3/7; no book study on 2/14) Everyone is welcome!
Text: Literacy Foundations for English Learners: A Comprehensive Guide to Evidence-Based Instruction by Dr. Elsa Cardenas-Hagan
To order: https://bit.ly/3DV6rNW (20% Discount Code from Brookes Publishing: ADE2023)
Dr. Cardenas-Hagan addresses the literacy foundational skills needed to enhance reading outcomes for the more than 5 million ELs. She addresses the critical features of instruction in literacy for ELs- including the cross-linguistic transfer of knowledge of phonological awareness in multiple languages. In addition to foundational skills; the book addresses reading fluency and entire chapters devoted to spelling and writing-often not adequately addressed considering the reciprocal roles of reading and writing. Essential to a complete book on teaching literacy to ELs is a significant focus on vocabulary instruction. She includes resources; printables and websites to assist teachers in meeting the needs of their students.
Participants must register for each week’s session individually. All participants who register in ADE APLD; read their chapter; and attend the book study will be given 2-hours PD credit. Certificates will be in ADE APLD and no record of attendance will be emailed.
Zoom link will be individually emailed to registrants the day of the webinar. Registration closes at 10 AM on Tuesdays.
- 1/10 Chapters 1 & 2 - Introduction to teaching ELs and Language Development
- 1/17 Chapter 3 - Components of Literacy
- 1/24 Chapter 4 – Phonological Awareness
- 1/31 Chapter 5 - Phonics
- 2/7 Chapters 6 & 9 - Reading Fluency and Spelling
- NO MEETING 2/14
- 2/21 Chapter 7 - Vocabulary
- 2/28 Chapter 8 – Reading Comprehension
- 3/7 Chapter 10 - Writing
DateTue, Feb 7 2023 - Tue, Feb 7 2023
Time4:30PM - 5:30PM
- Elementary School
- Middle School
- High School