If a student eligible to receive special education receives a GED (general educational development) credential, does the student lose his/her right to receive a FAPE?

Published: June 14th, 2016

No. According to the IDEA, graduation from high school with a regular high school diploma constitutes a change in placement. [34 C.F.R. § 300.102(a)(3)(iii)] However, the regulations go on to say that “the term regular high school diploma does not include an alternative degree that is not fully aligned with the State’s academic standards, such as a certificate or a general educational development credential (GED).” [Id. at subsection (a)(3)(iv)]

|| »