New Guidance and Webinars:
- Earlier this month, ADE’s 21st Century Community Learning Center program received a waiver from the US Department of Education (USDOE) to allow 21st CCLC grant subprograms to provide supplemental activities when school is in session, but students are not receiving in-person instruction, such as providing additional academic supports during distance learning. Last week, they unpacked this new waiver with their grant subprogram leads. View the recorded webinar HERE.
Reopening of Schools:
- As of November 13th, thirteen LEAs had current waivers for providing on-site support services. A complete list of the LEAs with accepted waivers is on the COVID page under the On-site Services Waiver Request.
- With the support of county superintendents, the Arizona Department of Education is tracking the reopening plans of LEAs across the state. The LEA reopening tracker, which is on our COVID-19 page, will be updated once a month. Please note that there may be missing information from the LEAs.
In the Media:
- Superintendent Hoffman held a press conference on Monday with ADHS Director Dr. Cara Christ to provide an update on how COVID-19 is impacting Arizona school communities.
- During the press conference, Superintendent Hoffman, Dr. Christ, and school leaders urged all Arizonans to double down on mitigation efforts like wearing a mask and staying home when possible.
- Alongside Superintendent Hoffman, Dr. Christ announced a new campaign, “Healthy Kids, Open Schools,” that will provide guidance and resources to keeping kids healthy and preventing the spread of COVID-19.
- Superintendent Hoffman joined AZ Family to discuss the “twin crises” that students are grappling with – the virus and youth suicide due to isolation from friends and classmates