Arizona State Seal of Arts Proficiency
The Arizona State Seal of Arts Proficiency is the latest testament to a rich history of excellent arts education in the state. This diploma seal is administered by the Arizona Department of Education’s Office of Arts Education and is awarded to graduates who complete minimum arts pathway requirements throughout their high school career. The State Seal of Arts Proficiency, or SB1111 as sponsored by Senator Paul Boyer, had bipartisan support and was a grassroots effort from Arizona Arts Education Advocates from across the state. It was signed into law by Governor Doug Ducey on May 14th, 2019. Board rule for this law was adopted by the State Board of Education on October 28th, 2019.
Stakeholders from across the state of Arizona convened during the summer of 2019 to outline the objectives and the pathway requirements to achieve the State Seal of Arts Proficiency. Stakeholders identified that the purpose of the seal is:
- To celebrate students who demonstrate high levels of proficiency in the Arizona Arts Education Standards through personal expression and creative experiences in arts education programs
- To identify pathways of artistic literacy that cultivate skills for 21st century success
- To prepare students for college and career readiness, including active participation in the creative industries sector
- To promote increased access to well-rounded, high quality arts education across the state
- Friday Nov. 1st 5pm: LEA APPLICATIONS OPEN
- Friday Nov. 22nd 5pm: LEA APPLICATIONS DUE
- Friday Dec. 20th 5pm: LEA NOTIFICATION OF APPLICATION STATUS
- Wednesday April 15th 5pm: LEA SEAL ACHIEVEMENT REPORT DUE TO ADE
- Friday May 1st 5pm: DISTRICTS RECEIVE DIPLOMA SEALS FOR QUALIFYING GRADUATES
Arts Seal Resources
A 17 page document issuing guidance to LEAs who wish to administer the State Seal of Arts Proficiency
A two page half page brochure overviewing the seal objectives, minimum pathway requirements, and timeline of the Arts Proficiency seal.
A five minute power point presentation that LEAs may utilize to present the State Seal of Arts Proficiency.
Adopted State Board of Education Rule on the State Seal of Arts Proficiency. Approved October 28th 2019.
Call for Student Designers of the Arizona Arts Proficiency Seal
The Arizona Department of Education is seeking designers to create the State Seal of Arts Proficiency. The selected design will be affixed to the diplomas of all graduates who meet the minimum arts education requirements
Each school may submit the online application for up to 2 students per grade level 9-12. Each student entry will require a separate application. Designs must be created and uploaded using the attached Arts Proficiency Seal Design Form.
Who is eligible to participate?
Arizona district or charter high school students in grades 9-12
- Applications due Friday December 20th by 5pm MST.
- Winning design will be unveiled in March during Youth Arts Month and the designer will be recognized at a reception at the Arizona Department of Education.
Each school may submit the online application and upload the Arts Proficiency Seal Design Form for up to 2 students per grade level 9-12
- Keep it simple! Lots of detail will NOT show up on the seal. Utilize positive and negative space, line drawings, and/or silhouettes.
- Represent Arizona’s 5 artistic disciplines: Dance, Music, Media Arts, Theatre, and Visual Arts.
- Two Colors: Submit black and white designs or designs utilizing two colors only.