Arizona State Seal of Arts Proficiency
The Arizona State Seal of Arts Proficiency is the latest testament to a rich history of excellent arts education in the state. This diploma seal is administered by the Arizona Department of Education’s Office of Arts Education and is awarded to graduates who complete minimum arts pathway requirements throughout their high school career. The State Seal of Arts Proficiency, or SB1111 as sponsored by Senator Paul Boyer, had bipartisan support and was a grassroots effort from Arizona Arts Education Advocates from across the state. It was signed into law by Governor Doug Ducey on May 14th, 2019. Board rule for this law was adopted by the State Board of Education on October 28th, 2019.
Stakeholders from across the state of Arizona convened during the summer of 2019 to outline the objectives and the pathway requirements to achieve the State Seal of Arts Proficiency. Stakeholders identified that the purpose of the seal is:
- To celebrate students who demonstrate high levels of proficiency in the Arizona Arts Education Standards through personal expression and creative experiences in arts education programs
- To identify pathways of artistic literacy that cultivate skills for 21st century success
- To prepare students for college and career readiness, including active participation in the creative industries sector
- To promote increased access to well-rounded, high quality arts education across the state
- Wednesday July 15th 8am: LEA APPLICATIONS OPEN
- Tuesday September 15th 11:59pm: LEA APPLICATIONS DUE
- Thursday October 15th 8am: LEA NOTIFICATION OF APPLICATION STATUS
- Friday April 16th 11:59pm: LEA SEAL ACHIEVEMENT REPORT DUE TO ADE
- Monday May 3rd: DISTRICTS RECEIVE DIPLOMA SEALS FOR QUALIFYING GRADUATES
Arts Seal Resources
A 17 page document issuing guidance to LEAs who wish to administer the State Seal of Arts Proficiency
A two page half page brochure overviewing the seal objectives, minimum pathway requirements, and timeline of the Arts Proficiency seal.
A five minute power point presentation that LEAs may utilize to present the State Seal of Arts Proficiency.
Adopted State Board of Education Rule on the State Seal of Arts Proficiency. Approved October 28th 2019.
In the 2019-2020 school year, the Arizona Department of Education put out a call for student designers of the State Seal of Arts Proficiency. The Arizona Department of Education is proud to announce the winning design for the State Seal of Arts Proficiency. The selected design will be affixed to the diplomas of all graduates who meet the minimum arts education requirements. Congratulations Chloe Ball from Pinnacle High School in the Paradise Valley School District! This design will be printed on 2″ copper foil and sent to schools administering the State Seal of Arts Proficiency by May 1st of each year.