High School Graduation
The Arizona State Board of Education establishes the requirements for graduation from high school. The minimum course of study and competency requirements are outlined in Title 7 Chapter 2 of The Arizona Administrative Code. The minimum course of study State Board Rule is R7-2-302.
The table below summarizes the minimum credit requirements for high school graduation in Arizona. Please note that school districts and charter schools may, at their discretion, establish additional graduation credit requirements for their students.
|English or English as a Second Language||4 credits|
|History & Social Science||3 credits|
|Fine Arts or Career and Technical Education||1 credit|
|Locally Prescribed Courses||7 credits|
Key highlights from R7-2-302 are listed below.
(1) Three credits containing course content in preparation for proficiency at the high school level on the statewide assessment and aligned to the Arizona Mathematics Standards for Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II. These three credits shall be taken beginning with the ninth grade unless a student meets these requirements prior to the ninth grade.
(2) The requirement for the third credit covering Algebra II, may be met by, but is not limited to the following: a math course comparable to Algebra II course content; computer science, career and technical education and vocational education, economics, science and arts courses as determined by the local school district governing board or charter school.
(3) The mathematics requirements may be modified for students using a Personal Curriculum.
(4) Three credits of science in preparation for proficiency at the high school level on the statewide assessment.
History and Social Science
(5) History and Social Science will minimally consist of one credit of American history, including Arizona history; one credit world history/geography; and one-half credit of government and one-half credit of economics.
NOTE: Specific course requirements are outlined in R7-2-302.
Arizona Department of Education
1535 West Jefferson Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
icon icon Email ADE
icon icon 602-542-5393
icon icon 800-352-4558
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Educator Certification Hours
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
icon icon See Map
Contact Quick Reference
ADE Main Line
icon icon 602-542-5393 / 800-352-4558
icon icon [email protected]
English or Language Arts
icon icon 602-542-5342
icon icon Sean Ross
icon icon 602-364-4030
icon icon Suzi Mast