September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
- Thu, Sep 1 2022
Some 1,400 Arizonans die by suicide annually; it is the eighth leading cause of death in the state. And yet, we can all play a role in helping to decrease this number in our communities. Remember to WAIT:
W: Watch for signs of distress and uncharacteristic behavior, including an increase in substance use, sleep pattern changes, discussing death or suicide
A: Ask, “Are you thinking of dying by suicide?”
I: It will pass. Reassure the person you’re speaking to that suicidal thoughts are treatable, and you will walk alongside them to get care.
T: Talk to others. Call the crisis line for immediate guidance on next steps.
- Maricopa County served by Mercy Care:
1-800-631-1314 or 602-222-9444
- Cochise, Graham, Greenlee, La Paz, Pima, Pinal, Santa Cruz and Yuma Counties served by Arizona Complete Health - Complete Care Plan:
- Apache, Coconino, Gila, Mohave, Navajo and Yavapai Counties served by Health Choice Arizona:
- Gila River and Ak-Chin Indian Communities:
- Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community:
For more crisis resources, see the AHCCCS Crisis web page.
View all School Safety & Social Wellness posts