To ensure that homeless children and youth have access to a free, appropriate public education, comparable to that provided to the children of any Arizona resident and consistent with Arizona’s mandatory school attendance laws.
Subtitle B of Title VII of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11431 et seq.) is included in the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015. The reauthorization requires that children and youths experiencing homelessness are immediately enrolled in school and have educational opportunities equal to those of their non-homeless peers. The statute requires every public school district and charter holder to designate a Homeless Liaison to ensure that homeless students are identified and their needs are being met.
In order to supplement services to these children and youths, the U.S. Department of Education provides funding for state and local activities. These dollars are allocated to the local education agencies through a competitive grant process, based on need and program quality.
SPECIAL NOTICE – Updated 8/14/17
FY18 McKinney-Vento Training Schedule
Anyone interested in the education of homeless children and youth is welcome. The target audience includes Local Education Liaisons, School & District Administrators, Grant Writers, Enrollment Personnel, Counselors, Social Workers, and Agency Caseworkers.
The Office of the Coordinator for Education of Homeless Children and Youth will offer two types of training for the 2017-2018 school year:
- McKinney-Vento 101: The Basics
- This 2-hour session is an orientation to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Program as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015. It covers key points of the federal legislation and responsibilities of the local educational agency and the Homeless Liaison. This training will provide key updates from reauthorization. All LEAs are required to comply with this Act.
- Arizona Housing Coalition(name change as of July 1st ) to End Homelessness Conference – October 2-3, 2017
- This is a 1 ½ day, 6-session conference. ADE will pay the registration fee of the Homeless Liaison of record. Registration is open.
Please see the McKinney-Vento training schedule on page two of the flyer: FY 18 McKinney-Vento Training Flyer .
Other resources include:
- Local Liaison Resource Documents
- McKinney-Vento Power Point presentation
- Reauthorization Information
- Database of Local Liaisons
Please register on the ADE Event Management System at: