The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act allows USDA, for the first time in over 30 years, opportunity to make real reforms to the school lunch and breakfast programs by improving the critical nutrition and hunger safety net for millions of children. The meal pattern will be phased in over multiple program years.
Please note, the meal pattern requirements have not changed for SY 15-16. The next update to the meal pattern is SY 2017-18. Please see the Implementation Timeline for Lunch and Breakfast for specifics.
- Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch Program (updated May 2015)
- Nutrition Standards in the School Breakfast Program (updated May 2015)
- USDA Short/Long Week Calculation
- SP 10-2012 (v.8) Questions & Answers on the Final Rule, “Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs.”
- USDA Manual OVS (updated August 2014) – NEW!
- USDA Website: Nutrition Standards for School Meals
- Implementation Timeline for Lunch and Breakfast
Technical Assistance and Guidance
- Meal Pattern Updates SY 14-15
- Meal or No Meal – Game for internal staff training on reimbursable meals at lunch (PowerPoint)
- SY 14-15: Lunch Weekly Meal Planner
- SY 14-15: Breakfast Weekly Meal Planner
- Vegetable Subgroup Planner
- Vegetable Subgroup Quick Guide
- USDA, Food Buying Guide
- USDA, Food Buying Guide Calculator
- How USDA Foods Support the NSLP and SBP Meal Pattern Requirements
- Team Nutrition Graphics Library – jazz up your menus and encourage healthy choices with these graphics!
- POS Signage
- Standardized Recipes
- USDA Foods Recipe Book (vol 1) – (Created by ADE School Foods) -NEW!
- ADE Standardized Recipe Template – Active PDF Version
- USDA Food and Nutrition Recipe Tool Box
- USDA Team Nutrition: Recipes for School Food Service
- School Nutrition Association: School Lunch, What’s Cooking
- Healthier Kansas Menus, Cycle Menus for Breakfast and Lunch
- Ohio Menus That Move
- Wisconsin Home Grown Cycle Menus
- Production Records
- Crediting Guidance
- Processed Product Documentation
- USDA Fact Sheets