The Arizona Department of Education administers the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) for the state of Arizona. The FFVP is a grant that provides funding for the purchase of a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables throughout the school day to all students in awarded schools. It is an effective and creative way of introducing fresh fruits and vegetables as healthy snack options to Arizona students.
The goal of the FFVP is to:
- Create healthier school environments by providing healthier food choices
- Expand the variety of fruits and vegetables children experience
- Increase children’s fruit and vegetable consumption
- Make a difference in children’s diets to impact their present and future health.
Schools must meet the following criteria in order to apply for the FFVP:
- Participate in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). Schools must comply with federal and state guidelines for operating the program.
- Be an elementary school. The definition of an elementary school is any school that serves lunch to students in grades Preschool through 8.
- Have 50 percent or more of its students eligible for free or reduced price meals. The highest priority is given to schools with the highest percentage of low-income students to the maximum extent practicable.
- Submit an application for each site that is interested in participating.
ADE FFVP Monthly Newsletter
November, December, January FFVP Newsletter
August, September, October 2014
SY15 FFVP Grant Application Memo
Announcement of SY15 Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program Schools
Announcement of SY14 Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program Schools
FFVP Program Fees in FSMC and Catering Contracts
Teacher Consumption in the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
FFVP Monthly Claim Directions
Fruit and Vegetable Fact Sheets
USDA Final FFVP Evaluation Report
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program Brochure
USDA FFVP Handbook for Schools
USDA FFVP Toolkit
USDA Interim Evaluation Report
Arizona Nutrition Network
CDC Fruit & Vegetable of the Month
Fruits & Veggies More Matters
USDA Agriculture in the Classroom
University of Illinois Extension Food Fun from Apples to Zucchini
USDA FFVP Resource Guide
Best Practices for Handling Fresh Produce in Schools
Frequently Asked Questions