The 2018 school year parent survey will be open February through May 2018.
Arizona Department of Education’s Information Technology is designing a new parent survey application in ADEConnect, part of the Arizona Education Learning Accountability System that will improve public education agencies’ management of the survey process and also improve parental access to the survey. The changes will have a positive impact on the distribution of and participation in the survey and in the reporting of results.
Detailed instructions on how to administer the survey, notify and monitor participation of parents who have a child with an IEP, and track participation will be disseminated in January, if not sooner. In the meantime, encourage your staff to strengthen and maintain family engagement efforts that relate to the survey questions and focus on schools’ goals to build home/school partnerships.
Survey content will not change. As in the past, the survey will collect information about the child (i.e., race, ethnicity, age, grade, disability category) and list the questions for which the parent chooses either a level of agreement or the not applicable option. Questions from the survey are listed below.
Likert Scale Questions:
- I work together with the IEP team as an equal partner to develop my child’s IEP.
- I feel comfortable telling my ideas about how well special education services meet my child’s needs.
- The teacher(s) keep(s) in touch with me regularly about my child’s progress.
- My relationship with the school staff has a positive effect on my child’s education.
- Administrators are available to discuss my questions or concerns.
- My child’s school helps me play an active role in my child’s education.
- The school explains what choices I have if we disagree.
- Overall, I am satisfied with how my child’s school makes it easy for me to be involved.
- How does your child’s school encourage you to be involved?
Becky Raabe, Parent Survey Coordinator