The Arizona Department of Education is committed to working in partnership with districts and schools across the state to develop and maintain emergency response plans (ERPs) that can keep our children safe.
Infectious Disease Update for Educators
Multiple federal agencies worked together to provide coordinated resources for educators on the various infectious diseases making news headlines recently. Resources from the U.S. Department of Education, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Department of Justice were introduced in this letter to Chief State School Officers.
The new resources include guidance on maintaining the civil rights of students and staff while ensuring a safe and healthy environment for all:
The Arizona Department of Health Services has also updated the Arizona-specific information on Ebola for educators.
Pilot Program on School Emergency Readiness
FY 2015 Competitive Grant Announcement and Instructions – closed 9/30/14
Congratulations to the grant recipients:
Payson Unified District
Prescott Unified District
Sunnyside Unified District
FEMA Independent Study Online Courses
The Arizona Minimum Requirements mandate that school employees who fill a role within the Incident Command System (ICS) structure are required to successfully complete three FEMA online trainings: IS-100SCa: Introduction to the Incident Command System for Schools, IS-200: Applying for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents, and IS-700: National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction.
County Emergency Management On-site Training
Upon completing IS-100.SCa, IS-200, and IS-700, district and school ERP teams are strongly encouraged to also complete the Multi-Hazard Emergency Planning for Schools course either through their local emergency management office or FEMA. Districts can schedule the two-day MAG-364 Multi-Hazard Emergency Planning for Schools course by submitting an ADEM (Arizona Department of Emergency Management) training request form to the county emergency management office. There is no cost to the district for this training.
Districts also have the option of sending teams to attend FEMA’s four-day course (E-361 Multi-Hazard Emergency Planning for Schools Course) in Emmitsburg, MD. FEMA covers the airfare, lodging, and training fees for training participants; the only expense is a $125.50 meal ticket per participant.
Advanced Training through ADEM
Upon completing FEMA’s E-361 or ADEM’s MAG-364, key personnel on a district’s ERP team are encouraged to also complete MAG-300 (Intermediate Incident Command Station) and MAG-400 (Advanced Incident Command Station) through ADEM.
- Memorandum – New Guidance for School Emergency Response Plans and Revised Minimum Requirements (February 4, 2013)
- Arizona School Emergency Response Plan Minimum Requirements Arizona Revised Statute 15-341(A)(32) requires each school site to have an emergency response plan that meets the minimum state requirements. The ADE and ADEM are responsible for developing the minimum standards for school emergency response plans in Arizona.
- Emergency Response Plan Template
- 2013 Guide for Developing High Quality School Emergency Operations Plans
- 2013 Emergency Response Plan Workshop Presentation
- Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools Technical Assistance Center
- 2012 Draft Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) – Template and Instructions
- National Incident Management System
- NIMS Implementation Activities Checklist
- Comprehensive Preparedness Guide (CPG) 101
- CPG 201 Toolkit Guide
- CPG 201 Guide
- School Buildings and Infrastructure Protection
- FEMA Crosswalk of Capabilities
- National Preparedness Goal Handout
- How to Talk to Children about School Shootings
- County Emergency Managers
- County Health Departments
- Tribal/Regional Behavioral Health Authority (T/RBHA) service providers
- Arizona Department of Health Services, Division of Behavioral Health Services
2014 School Emergency Response Regional Workshop Materials
Workshop Agenda and PowerPoint Presentation
- Mobile Crisis Team Intervention Intake Case Presentation
- Parent Acknowledgement of Contact and Authorization and Consent to Release Information
- Prevention of Skin Infection Spread in Athletes
- Official Information Request from Maricopa County Department of Public Health
- Arizona Department of Health Services Wildfire Emergency Response Plan
- 2013 State of Arizona Hazard Mitigation Plan – Wildfires
- Incident Command System Positions
- Primary Resources for School Emergency Preparedness
School Safety and Prevention