Beginning in the school year 2013-2014, Arizona 3rd graders who score in the Falls Far Below category will be retained in 3rd grade at the end of the year. Schools will be required to provide held back students with intensive help so the student can learn to read and progress in school. There are some exceptions to the rule. In accordance with the new law, a school district, governing board or the governing body of a charter school is allowed to promote a pupil who earns an AIMS score that falls far below the third grade level for any of the following good cause exemptions:
- English Language Learners or Limited English Proficient that have received less than two years of English instruction; and
- Students with disabilities provided that the pupil’s individualized education program (IEP) team and the pupil’s parent or guardian agree that promotion is appropriate based on the pupil’s IEP.
To read the legal exemptions: http://www.azleg.gov/ars/15/00701.htm
PTA – Parent Guides to Student Success K-3 in English and Spanish
The Guide includes:
- Key items that children should be learning in English language arts and mathematics in each grade, once the standards are fully implemented.
- Activities that parents can do at home to support their child’s learning.
- Methods for helping parents build stronger relationships with their child’s teacher.
- Tips for planning for college and career (high school only).
Parent Guides – Printable Versions English
Guía Para Padres Para Fomentar El Éxito Escolar
|These guides provide an overview of what your child will learn by the end of each grade level in mathematics and English language arts/literacy.||Esta guías presentan un panorama general del aprendizaje que habrá adquirido su hijo al final de cada grado en matemáticas y artes lingüísticas en inglés/alfabetización.|
|1st Grade||1er Grado|
|2nd Grade||2do Grado|
|3rd Grade||3er Grado|