Beginning in the school year 2013-2014, Arizona 3rd graders who score in the Falls Far Below category will be retained in 3rd grade at the end of the year. Schools will be required to provide held back students with intensive help so the student can learn to read and progress in school. There are some exceptions to the rule. In accordance with the new law, a school district, governing board or the governing body of a charter school is allowed to promote a pupil who earns an AIMS score that falls far below the third grade level for any of the following good cause exemptions:
- English Language Learners or Limited English Proficient that have received less than two years of English instruction; and
- Students with disabilities provided that the pupil’s individualized education program (IEP) team and the pupil’s parent or guardian agree that promotion is appropriate based on the pupil’s IEP.
To read the legal exemptions: http://www.azleg.gov/ars/15/00701.htm
The READ ON Arizona organization has worked hard to develop a comprehensive literacy guide that includes “A reader’s typical milestones” from Birth to 8 years of age.
Click the Picture to read Building Blocks To Becoming A Reader
This Booklet is full of “Ways adults can support children’s language,
reading, and writing”
Copyright 2014. Read on Arizona – A Continuum of Effective Literacy Practices
Read On Arizona Guide to Literacy for Arizona Families:
This guide is for any parent or caregiver of an Arizona student in grades PreK-3. It is to help parents understand what the Arizona law says about reading
requirements for 3rd grade students, the importance of early literacy, the role families play in helping support foundational early reading skills and activities
to use at home. It also suggests questions and ideas that you can discuss with your school to help your child if he or she is a struggling reader.
|Head Start Arizona Head Start Programs provide high quality early childhood education, nutrition, health,mental health, disabilities,and social services with a strong parentinvolvement focus.|
|Parent Information Resource CenterWelcome parents to a webpage designed just for you! We understand how important it is for you to know about resources available to better prepare your child/children for success in school, college, career and life. Bookmark this page and check back often for new resources and announcements.|
PTA – Parent Guides to Student Success K-3 in English and Spanish
The Guide includes:
- Key items that children should be learning in English language arts and mathematics in each grade, once the standards are fully implemented.
- Activities that parents can do at home to support their child’s learning.
- Methods for helping parents build stronger relationships with their child’s teacher.
- Tips for planning for college and career (high school only).
Parent Guides – Printable Versions English
Guía Para Padres Para Fomentar El Éxito Escolar
|These guides provide an overview of what your child will learn by the end of each grade level in mathematics and English language arts/literacy.||Esta guías presentan un panorama general del aprendizaje que habrá adquirido su hijo al final de cada grado en matemáticas y artes lingüísticas en inglés/alfabetización.|
|1st Grade||1er Grado|
|2nd Grade||2do Grado|
|3rd Grade||3er Grado|