Leaders for School Wellness Subgrant
Applications open: December 1, 2017
Applications close: December 22, 2017
Link to RFA and Related Documents
Frequently Asked Questions – Updated November 6, 2017
Arizona Department of Education (ADE) will award up to five subgrants to Local Education Agencies (LEAs) who can demonstrate their plan to complete the scope of work as described in the Request for Applications (RFA).
The sub awards will require LEAs will designate or hire a Wellness Coordinator who will utilize the local school wellness policy and ADE’s Activity and Assessment Tool as the framework to:
- offer appealing and nutritious school meals,
- provide nutrition education, and
- build a school environment that promotes healthy eating.
Overall the grant will support LEAs in implementing multilevel interventions to improve elementary student nutrition knowledge and attitudes that shape behaviors and align with the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
ADE will provide training and on-going technical assistance to recipient LEAs as they translate policy to practice. Awarded LEA’s will document their experiences and mentor other LEAs in how to replicate this work. The work completed by recipient LEAs will serve as a model that informs future guidance around the Local Wellness Policy.
December 22, 2017: Applications due to ADE Grants Management Enterprise System (GME)
February 2018: Team Nutrition Grants Awarded
Informational Webinar: Leaders for School Wellness Subgrant
(October 24, 2017, 1:00-2:00) – Recorded Webinar & Webinar Slides
Webinar FAQ – Updated November 6, 2017
This webinar will provide an overview of the Leaders for School Wellness Subgrant for Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in Arizona. Major topics covered include subgrant objectives; application requirements; and scoring criteria for grant applications.
Who can apply?
Applications submitted by Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) must demonstrate their participation in the National School Lunch Program for School Year 2017-2018 and the LEA must maintain this participation status through the grant project. LEAs must have 4th and 5th grade students enrolled. Residential Child Care Institutions(RCCIs) are not eligible to apply.
Funding and Duration
Through a competitive grant process, subgrants will be funded for the period of February 1, 2018 and ending no later than June 30, 2020. Up to $111,500 may be requested per LEA. The submission of an application does NOT guarantee funding. All subgrant funds must be obligated and all activities under the grant must be completed by June 30, 2020.
Application Due Date
The completed application must be completed through ADE Grants Management Enterprise System (GME) at or before 11:59 pm Mountain Standard Time December 22, 2017.
Submission of Application
Mailed, e-mailed or hand-delivered application packages will not be accepted.
- 1. Access the Leaders for School Wellness Subgrant within the Grants Management Enterprise System (GME). GME is accessible through ADEConnect. From the www.azed.gov website, click on the link to ADEConnect found on the dark-blue ribbon at the top of the page. The LEA’s GME User Access Administrator is responsible for maintaining personnel access to accounts in GME and will be able to grant access to other individuals if appropriate. This may be the Business Manager or a person with access to the Student Information System. If your organization is not on GME, please email [email protected] or call (602) 542-3901 for and information of requirements authorizing eligibility for grant application.
- 2. Complete all required fields within GME and upload required documentation.
- 3. Late applications will not be considered in this competition.
- 4. Applications submitted without all the required fields or supporting documents will not be considered for competition.
Questions regarding the application should be referred to Emily Thege via email at [email protected]