- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Serving it Safe, 3rd Edition
- Thermometer Information Resource
- USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service
- Maricopa County Food Safety Management Partnership: The Cutting Edge
- USDA’s Guidebook for Food Safety for Child Nutrition Professionals
- USDA’s website for Food Safety Resources
- The wide array of free and downloadable materials include the following:
- Food Safety Posters – Posters available in English and Spanish from the Center of Excellence for Food Safety Research in Child Nutrition Programs.
- The Stomach Bug Book – A booklet available in English and Spanish created by NEA Healthy Futures and USDA to inform and educate school personnel on norovirus and provide helpful resources for the school community.
- Food-Safe Schools Action Guide – A USDA guide for school nutrition staff working to create a culture of food safety.
- Institute of Child Nutrition: Employee Health and Personal Hygiene for Child Nutrition Professionals
- Institute of Child Nutrition Food Safety Online Courses– Access the following online courses: Food Safe Taste Testing; Managing Food Allergies in School Nutrition Programs; Norovirus Part 1, Part 2, Part 3; Responding to a Food Recall: Procedures for Recalls of USDA Foods; Serving it Safe
The Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004 requires each school food authority (SFA) to implement a school food safety program based on HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) principles.
- Final Rule: School Food Safety Program Based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point Principles (Released December 2009)
- USDA Guidance for School Food Authorities: Developing a School Food Safety Program Based on the Process Approach to HACCP Principles (Released 2005)
- CN 42-06: Final Notice Implementation of a School Food Safety Program HACCP (Released March 2006)
- CN 09-07: Monitoring Implementation of HACCP – Based Food Safety Program (Released August 2006)
- Developing a School Food Safety Program Based on the Process Approach to HACCP Principles
- Institute of Child Nutrition: HACCP Implementation
- Institute of Child Nutrition HAACP-Based Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- SP 37-2011 Child Nutrition Reauthorization 2010: Enhancing the School Food Safety Program (Released May 2011)
- SP 37-2013 Enhancing the School Food Safety Program: Frequently Asked Questions (Released April 2013)
Food Safety Inspection Requirement
- Final Rule: School Food Safety Inspections (Released September 2009)
- CN 11-08: Food Safety Inspections in Non-Traditional School Settings (Released January 2008)
- SP 45-2011: Food Safety Inspections in Service-Only Sites Participating in the School Meals Programs (Released August 2011)
- 2013 Food Code
- Arizona Department of Health Food Safety Rules
- CN 27-12: Guidance on the Food Donation Program in Child Nutrition Programs (Released March 2012)
- SP 02-2011R Salad Bars in the National School Lunch Program (Released January 2011)
For detailed information on your county’s food code, visit the Arizona Department of Health Services Food Safety and Environmental Services website: http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oeh/fses/resources.htm