Can I hire a paraprofessional with ESA funds?

Yes, ESA statute allows parents to hire certified paraprofessionals for students with special needs. In order to qualify as a paraprofessional for the ESA program, parents must submit proof, on behalf of the paraprofessional/aide, to the Department. To qualify, one the following requirements must be met:

  • An Associate’s degree or higher OR
  • 60 semester hours of coursework documented on an official transcript from an accredited institution of higher education OR
  • Meet a rigorous standard of quality as demonstrated through the passage of a formal state assessment listed below:
    • Para Pro
    • ACT Workkeys
    • Master Teacher’s Para Educator Learning Network

For more information on taking the state assessment please contact:

Highly Qualified Professionals
Tel: (602) 364-1842



Posted in: Tutor, therapist & aide