When can I start the application process for ESA?

ESA will begin accepting applications starting January 1, 2014 through April 1, 2014. 

The deadline for applications and documentation (e.g. IEP, MET, 504 Plan, active duty military proof, proof of foster care, and adoption) must be submitted to our office no later than April 1, 2014 at 3pm.   Application and or documentations will not be accepted after the deadline date and time.

ESA staff will not process any applications or documentation  received after that day or time.

My IEP/MET is expired, can you accept my old IEP/MET while we are in the process of getting a new one?

ESA staff requires current determination paperwork throughout the application process and requires parents to maintain that paperwork to renew their ESA agreement in subsequent years. 

Please keep in mind that an IEP is valid for one year from the date of determination, and an MET is good for three years from the date of determination.

What is an IEP/MET

Multidisciplinary Evaluation Team (MET) is a written report developed by the public school that includes strengths, weaknesses and priority educational needs to access general education curriculum which will translate into a PLAAFP for an IEP.

Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is a written report created by an IEP team (which includes the parents) in which goals are developed based on Present Levels of Academic and Functional Performance (PLAAFP).

Can ADE process my application late?

ESA staff will only process late applications if it can be shown to be administrative error.

Can I accept an ESA scholarship and an STO scholarship at the same time?

No, an ESA scholarship and an STO scholarship may not be used concurrently. Use of an STO scholarship while on the ESA program will disqualify you from receiving funds.

I enrolled my child late after school had already began, does she qualify?

This must be determined on a case by case basis by reviewing district enrollment data. As a rule, a district will not count you as a late enrollment unless you do not attend the first ten days of school. Please contact your local district or school to determine enrollment status.

I have just moved to the state, does my child qualify?

In order to qualify for the ESA program a student must have attended an Arizona public school the prior year. Children from out of state would need to enroll in a public school for at least the first 100 days before they would be eligible for the ESA program.

My child is regularly sick and often misses days in school, does my child still qualify?

Yes, if your child does not miss ten consecutive days without school permission or a total of 18 days throughout the year then your child would still qualify for the ESA program; attendance is different from enrollment.




We changed schools and there was a gap in enrollment, does my son qualify?

This question must be reviewed on a case by case basis by reviewing enrollment data provided by the district.  However, enrollment does not mean attendance and a student is withdrawn by the school if they do not attend for ten consecutive days or a total of 18 days throughout the school year. If you feel that this may be the case please contact your school and ask the question “Was my child enrolled for the first 100 days of school?”




My child just entered Pre-school in January and could not accumulate the full 100 days, does she still qualify?

The recent expansion to ESA allows for students entering Kindergarten to bypass the 100 day requirement as long as they fall within one of the five required populations. 

In order to be “eligible for Kindergarten“, the student must be five, but not six years old, on or before September 1st of the school year being applied for.