Welcome to ESA
The Empowerment Scholarship Account (ESA) program is an account administered by The Arizona Department of Education that is funded by state tax dollars to provide educational options for qualified Arizona students. By opting out of the public school system, parents can seek a range of alternative educational services, such as private school or home-based education, to tailor an individualized educational plan that is best for their child. The ESA program is not affiliated with any services, providers, vendors or websites, please ensure you are referring to our website and documents for program direction.
News and Updates
- The ESA Phone-line is open from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm, Monday – Thursday and 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm, Fridays.
- We are currently experiencing a very high call volume. You can also e-mail [email protected] and anticipate a response in 24-48 hours.
- Check the ESA website regularly for updates and the 19/20 Parent Handbook (for any upcoming changes in the 2019-2020 School Year).
- If an application for ESA is determined to be incomplete (missing required documentation and/or information), it will be denied.
- If you are ever unsure of what documents are required, or will be accepted, always call ESA 602-364-1969 (or e-mail [email protected]).
- If an application is denied, you can always reapply.
icon icon Please see the ESA calendar page for applications and quarterly funding deadlines: ESA Calendar
- For a pupil withdrawal document: the applicant will only have 60 days to return this document to the department. If they fail to send it in within 60 days, the application will be closed automatically and they must reapply.
- Current recipients: Quarter 1 funding will be dispersed July 15th through July 30th.
- Prospective Recipients:
- Both renewal and new contracts will have a 30-day lifespan, meaning that if the contract is not returned within 30 days of being sent, the application will close and they are eligible to reapply.
- Contracts can only be issued once ESA can verify the student is no longer enrolled in public school.
- Renewals (for 19/20) will not be issued if the account has not been funded in the 18/19 school year.
- Expense Reports: The Quarter 4 Expense Report is due June 20th.
- Applications: The 19/20 application deadline for Quarter 1 funding is June 1st.
About ESA and Applying for ESA:
Eligibility & Application