Requirements may be subject to change and are fully referenced in the Arizona Revised Statutes and Administrative Code. All submitted documentation, including transcripts, becomes the property of The Arizona Department of Education and will not be returned.
- Teaching Certificates
- Administrative Certificates
- Special Education Certificates
- Career and Technical Education Certificates
- Professional Non-Teaching Certificates
- Reciprocal Certificates
- Emergency Certificates
Arizona Educator Exams (Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessments (AEPA) or National Evaluation Series (NES)
In November 1997, the Arizona State Board of Education adopted rules regarding the evaluation of educators applying for state certifications. The rules require that applicants for teacher certification pass both a test of subject knowledge and a test of professional knowledge. The Arizona Educator Exams (AEPA or NES) were designed to ensure that each certified teacher or administrator has the necessary knowledge to teach or lead in Arizona public schools.
For more information (test selection, dates, fees, registration, study guides, etc.) on Arizona’s Educator Exams, see: LINK
Comparable Out-Of-State Exams
Below are the most recently updated lists of comparable out-of-state exams by state that waive the Arizona Educator Exam (AEPA or NES). These versions supersede any previous versions. Lists will be updated periodically as new information is obtained.
- Scores 10 years or older will not be accepted.
- Exams from other states will only be accepted if the score report documents a passing score (“PASS”, “PASSED”).
- Comparable out-of-state exams can be used for Provisional certificates, Administrative certificates, approved areas and endorsements that require or allow the use of Arizona Educator Exams (AEPA or NES). The out-of-state exam must be the comparable one for the certification service requested.
- Comparable out-of-state exams can also be used for Arizona Highly Qualified Teacher (HQT) status.
- The following states do not have any comparable Professional Knowledge (PK) exam: California, Massachusetts, Montana, Colorado (has only the PK exam for their Elementary certificate), Michigan (has only the PK exam for their Early Childhood certificate).
Lists of Comparable Out-of-State Exams:
ETS Praxis II
Non-Praxis Exams by State
- New Mexico
- New York
- Washington (West-E Exams)