icon What is Work-Based Learning?
Work-Based Learning (WBL) connects students with industry to engage in real-world experiences. WBL experiences bridge academic, technical and employability skill development to help students become college, career and life ready. These experiences can occur either at a school or an industry site. Arizona students in WBL apply classroom learning in a hands-on experience at a worksite through the completion of 120 hours.
Arizona Department of Education Work-Based Learning Guide – PDF
- College and Career Readiness and Success Center: To help support states in designing, scaling, and implementing WBL efforts, the College and Career Readiness and Success (CCRS) Center launched the State Work-Based Learning Initiative. This initiative is organized around four state-led, peer-to-peer networks that focus on specific WBL priorities, promote cross-state learning, and engage external WBL experts.
- Engaging Youth in Work Experiences: NCWD/Youth provides practical examples and resources used for engaging youth in work experiences through training and guidance in soft skills.
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) Money Smart for Young People series consists of four free curriculum products. Each age-appropriate curriculum includes lesson plans for educators along with guides for parents and caregivers. The materials are available for immediate download
- Not as Hard as You Think: Engaging High School Students in Work-Based Learning: Employers interested in working with young people are often concerned about possible barriers that may limit youth’s access to workplaces, such as labor laws and liability issues. Addressing employers’ concerns head-on is therefore critical to scaling up work-based learning opportunities.
- Quality Work-Based Toolkit (Kansas City) : is an introduction to the principles of Quality Work-Based Learning and lays the foundation for developing any work-based learning experience. The Seven Simple Guidelines presented focus on the “must-haves” for quality experiences. This guide provides educators with everything they need to create quality, safe and legal work-based learning experiences for students.
- South Dakota Department of Education Work-Based Learning, whether in the earlier grades with career awareness, middle grades with career exploration, or high school with career preparation, WBL helps students explore careers and develop personal and professional goals for life after high school.