Frequently Asked Questions

I think that the textbook that my child/class is using is ineffective. With whom can I address my concern?
The Arizona Department of Education does not endorse or approve specific curriculums, books or courses of study and does not have approved textbook lists. As long as the governing board of a district approves the book and it helps meet the standards, it may be adopted.

Ask to address the governing school board at a public meeting, or ask to become part of the curriculum committee. Approving textbooks should be a community effort, and input is usually welcome.

How can I find out when my children’s school starts/ends?
Most schools in Arizona start in early- to mid- August and get out in early- to mid- June. You will have to contact the district or the school your children will attend/attend to find out the school’s calendar year.

You can use the school search function on our web site if you are unsure of exactly which district you will fall under (, or you can use the following link to find your school’s website, where much of this information may be listed.
While the laws determine the number of days and hours required for students to attend school, the actual dates are determined by your governing school boards – boards consisting of elected residents from your community. You should address them at a public meeting to inform them of your concerns.

How many miles from a school must a child reside before the school will provide transportation?
There is not a mandate for how far away students must live from a school before busing is required. Each district creates its own policy with regards to its busing boundaries. Contact your district to find out the exact boundaries that apply to your child.
What is Open Enrollment?
Arizona is not a full “school of choice” state, which means if a child lives outside of the district they wish to attend they are not automatically entitled to attend that particular school. To address this Arizona has what is called “Open Enrollment.” Open enrollment allows students to enroll in public, charter and online courses outside of their local school zone.

January is typically when schools and districts start evaluating their available space as well as forecasting enrollment for the following year. Please keep in mind that even though schools have open enrollment, seats are normally limited and students must meet their enrollment requirements.

For more detailed information on individual district policies, you must contact their office directly. If you do not have their contact information, please feel free to use our “School Search Function” at to retrieve it.

How old does my child have to be to enroll in kindergarten?
ARS 15-821C is the source of information for kindergarten entry age. It states that children must be five (5) years of age before September 1 to enter kindergarten. That means that a child must turn five on or before August 31, not on September 1. Kindergarten is not required in the state of Arizona.

While the deadline for admission to kindergarten is 5 years old by September 1, Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) § 15-821C gives districts the right to choose to allow students into a kindergarten program if they were born no later than January 1 and if they feel that it is in the best interest of the child. Many districts hold hard and fast to the September 1 deadline; some districts evaluate each child if they are an early-entry candidate and make a case-by-case decision, while other districts allow all children who turn 5 on or before December 31 to enter kindergarten.

Schools reserve the right to test students for entrance directly into first grade even if they meet the age 6 requirements for admission into first grade, and may choose to place them in a kindergarten program at that time if they do not meet the kindergarten standards.

Who has control over the school governing board members?
Your school district’s governing board members are elected officials. The local community elects governing board members, and it is the community who retains all the power to affect those who hold positions on a board. The purpose of this local election process is for constituents to have a local voice through elected officials, your governing board members. Governing board meetings are open to the general public.

Please note: The Arizona Department of Education does not have disciplinary jurisdiction over governing school board members.

These positions are available to anyone who wants to run for a governing school board member position. If you feel the governing board members are not working for the community and you are concerned about their current position, you can begin what is called “Recall Process”. You may contact your local County Superintendent’s Office to begin this process.

Contact information for your local County Superintendent’s Office is available by visiting the following link:

My child goes to a public school and I have a problem with the school. Where do I go first?
First, address your child’s teacher. Then, make an appointment with the principal of the school. If your issue is still not resolved, contact the superintendent of the district that oversees your child’s school. Your final resort is the governing school board. They are the elected officials that hold twice-monthly meetings regarding school issues in your area. They will make the final decision regarding most issues.

The governing school board makes final decisions about student grades, promotion and retention, discipline issues, teacher contracts, parental involvement, curriculum, textbook, student travel etc.
Click here for a step-by-step process.

What is the maximum student-to-teacher ratio in Arizona?
There is no student to teacher ratio mandated by law in Arizona. Districts are required to create their own classroom maximum numbers per grade level. Districts use many factors to determine the number of students per classroom. At the time a school is constructed, the facilities board will determine the maximum number of pupils allowed in the building.
How many absences can a child have legally?
A child is considered habitually truant after 5 absences within the same school year, and excessively absent if they miss more than 10 percent of total class time. An excessively truant student may face a variety of consequences ranging from suspension to probation. In many cases, the child will be sent to a truancy officer who may arrange a court date that both the student and the parents will be required to attend.
How do I give notification that my child will be attending home school?
Home schooling is regulated at the county level. You must register with your respective county. You must file an affidavit of intent within thirty days from the time the child begins to attend a private school or home school. For county superintendent contact information, please visit this link and click on your county on the map provided: