The US Department of Education announced on Monday, September 28, 2015, that the Arizona Charter Schools Program (AZCSP) has received a Charter Schools Program (CSP), State Educating Agency (SEA) grant in the amount of $23.6 M grant to continue AZCSP’s work for the next five years. The goal of the program is to award subgrants to highly qualified and effective leaders to create or replicate 30 charter schools over 3 years for disadvantaged students across Arizona. The goal of the awarded schools is to significantly increase student academic outcomes and close achievement gaps for all disadvantaged students aligned with Arizona College and Career Ready Standards.
Twenty-seven (27) states applied for this highly competitive grant, 8 were awarded. Arizona’s application was scored higher than the 27 other state application save one.
Here is a link to the ED CSP website grant award announcement: http://www2.ed.gov/programs/charter/index.html
- Up to $250,000 per Project year up to three years.
- Project Years may be reduced depending on the year the school opened.
- Alternative schools and Online schools are not eligible to apply.
- All federal grants and subgrants awarded after December 26, 2015 are subject to the new White House Office and Management and Budget (OMB) Uniform Guidance.
- The purpose of Uniform Guidance is to insure that grantees and subgrantees are meeting the targeted outcomes described in their application as well as compliance standards described in federal law and regulations.
- Subgrantees who fail to meet the targets described in their application risk reduction and/or loss of funding.
- For the purposes of this grant, federal law and regulations supersedes Arizona state law.
Application Submission Deadline:
- December 4, 2015, 5:00 pm.
- Application will be submitted online. Early submissions are acceptable. The last submission will be accepted and evaluated as the applicant’s final submission.
- Monday, January, 26, 2016, State Board of Education Meeting.
- Grant Award Notification (GAN) with terms and conditions will be sent within 48 hours.