(Click on a question to see the answer)
Click here to see the technical FAQs
The short answer: Yes and No
The long answer: On October 19, 2012, the Arizona Data Governance Commission directed the Arizona Department of Education (ADE) to use Ed-Fi as the Agency’s internal physical data model. The agency originally committed to fully implementing AzEDS by July 1, 2015; however, it was determined that not all LEAs and vendors could be AzEDS compliant by that date to meet this Data Governance Commission directive. ADE is developing an implementation plan that will allow both vendors and LEAs to test new AzEDS submissions before they will be used for state aid payment calculations.
Short Answer: Yes – Eventually
Long Answer: Beginning on July 1, 2015, AzEDS and SAIS will run in parallel using a “single submission, dual reporting” model. This means that each LEA will submit data using either AzEDS or SAIS, but ADE will provide reporting through both AzEDS and SAIS and continue to calculate school payments using SAIS. This will give LEAs and ADE time to not only transition to AzEDS, but to also ensure all calculations and reporting is accurate before the final switchover to AzEDS. SAIS will continue to be the “database of record” until July 1, 2016.
Although the idea of a REST API may sound intimidating, it really is as simple as checking your email using a web browser.
- Weekly submission is recommended. Each LEA sets its own submission schedule, which in turn determines what “near real-time” means for them. ADE recommends that LEAs submit data at least weekly and do so daily, if possible.
- Validate data before submission. In order to reduce submission errors, ADE recommends that LEAs validate data before submitting it. For example, validating that a student is enrolled before that student’s attendance is submitted.
NOTE: ADE does not have insight into the configuration options available in each SIS; LEAs are encouraged to work with their SIS vendors regarding these settings.
Beginning in FY 2016, ADE will upgrade identity management to take advantage of the increased capabilities offered by AzEDS. Existing SAIS IDs will continue to be valid; they will simply be referred to as Student State IDs to match newly created IDs.
A new application—AzEDS Identity—allows ADEConnect users to search all existing State Student IDs (including SAIS IDs). The SAIS ID Search application in Common Logon will be phased out during the month of August 2015.
Please select a panel below to read more about Student State IDs.
- Make it easier to find existing IDs
- Simplify the process of creating new IDs
- Reduce the amount of duplicate entries
The process for creating a new State Student ID is consistent and simple.
- The user first checks for an existing identity using either their student information system’s (SIS) built-in search function* or using the new AzEDS Identity application in ADEConnect.
(*When a new student is entered, the SIS checks the AzEDS Identity database to see if that student already has a State Student ID.)
- If none of the returned identities matches the student being enrolled, a new identity is created using the SIS.
- A new Student State ID number will automatically be generated.
- Once the student’s enrollment is submitted via SAIS or AzEDS, the Student State ID is permanently recorded.
- LEA Responsibility — Use the FY15 code A (SEI) in place of the new ELL FY16 Program Codes:
A2 (SEI 2-Hour Model), A3 (SEI 3-Hour Model), and A4 (SEI 4-Hour Model)
- No Action Required — The data will be copied into the AzEDS database using the new code value A4.
- LEA Responsibility — When the LEA switches to the new AzEDS system, they must change the A4 entries to the correct codes (A2, A3) or leave them as A4.
- LEA Responsibility — Use the FY15 Exit Code ELL03 (Withdrawn by Parent) in place of the new ELL FY16 Program Code, PW (Parent Withdrawn).
- No Action Required — The data will be copied into the AzEDS database using the new Program Code PW.
When using AzEDS:
- No Action Required — New ELL FY16 Program Codes, A2 (SEI 2-Hour Model), A3 (SEI 3-Hour Model, and A4 (SEI 4-Hour Model) will be submitted to the AzEDS database properly.
- No Action Required — The data will be copied into SAIS database using the FY15 code A (SEI).
- No Action Required — New ELL FY16 Program Code, PW (Parent Withdrawn) will be submitted into the AzEDS database properly.
- No Action Required — The data will be copied into the SAIS database using the FY15 Exit Code ELL03 (Withdrawn by Parent).