Arizona Education Data Standards
Based on the widely adopted CEDS guidelines, AzEDS is the data standard for Arizona’s education system.
Efficiency & Savings
- Data standardization and improved processing leads to more accurate reporting at all levels, including classroom-accessible dashboards.
- Uniform data elements allow for student-level long-term tracking and reporting, which enable educators to strategically plan for student success.
- Error reduction and on-demand data reconciliation provide decision-makers with the information they need when they need it.
- Using the Ed-Fi data model, AzEDS automates the majority of education reporting without compromising privacy or reducing districts’ control over student data.
- AzEDS incorporates the nationally recognized Common Education Data Standards, making Arizona’s data more accessible.
- The implementation of data standardization also leads to system integration and enhanced compatibility between applications.
Efficiency & Savings
- AzEDS processes as many as 3 million transactions each day
- The time required to recalculate statewide ADM has been reduced from 5 days to less than 1 hour
- AzEDS directly connects district-level student information systems to ADE, reducing administrative burden and increasing data visibility.
|June 22, 2016||Reminder: BOY and EOY SAIS-to-AzEDS and Payments Processes|
|June 16, 2016||Reminder: BOY and EOY SAIS-to-AzEDS and Payments Processes|
|June 13, 2016||Beginning-of-Year AzEDS and Payments Processes|
|June 10, 2016||Special Education Transactions in AzEDS for FY16|
|June 9, 2016||End of Year SAIS-to-AzEDS Transition and Payments Processes|
|May 13, 2016||New STUD15 report released|
|May 9, 2016||ADM15 Report — AzEDS Reports Roles|
|April 15, 2016||Letter to LEAs: AzEDS Update|
|April 6, 2016||Letter to LEAs: AzEDS Transition Update|
|March 11, 2016||Letter Regarding Final Deadlines for LEA Transitions to AzEDS|
|October 19, 2015||Letter to IT Directors (or best contact) regarding AzEDS Transition|
|October 5, 2015||Letter to Superintendents, Charter Holders, and Business Managers regarding AzEDS Transition|
|August 11, 2015||AzEDS to SAIS Validation Criteria – Sent to SIS Vendors August 11, 2015|
|August 7, 2015||Letter to SIS Vendors Regarding Prior Year Data Submission Configuration Requirements|
|August 6, 2015||SAIS Identity Search application to be replaced by AzEDS Identity application as of 8/31/15
—AzEDS Identity in ADEConnect Documentation
—AzEDS Identity Quick Reference Guide
|May 29, 2015||Letter to Superintendents and Charter Holders regarding SAIS-to-AzEDS Transition Update – Sent 28 May 2015|
|May 29, 2015||Letter to SIS vendors regarding AzEDS certification support – Sent 28 May 2015|
|May 15, 2015||Updated AzEDS API Release 2.1 Version 5 Use Case Scenarios and Release Notes are now available for download under the Technical Information for Vendors and LEAs tab.|
|May 13, 2015||Check out the new AzEDS Transition Plan section!|
|April 29, 2015||Updated AzEDS API Release 2.1 Version 4 Use Case Scenarios and Release Notes are now available for download under the Technical Information for Vendors and LEAs tab.|
|January 28, 2015||Note: The deadline for Release 2 vendor certification is March 3, 2015.|
|January 27, 2015||Updated AzEDS API Release 2.1 Version 2 Use Case Scenarios and Release Notes are now available for download under the Technical Information for Vendors and LEAs tab.|
|January 22, 2015||Vendor AzEDS Certification Welcome Packet is now available for download under the Technical Information for Vendors and LEAs / General Information tab.|
|November 25, 2014||Updated AzEDS API Release 2.1 Version 1 Use Case Scenarios and Release Notes are now available for download under the Technical Information for Vendors and LEAs tab.|
|November 20, 2014||Tyler SIS by SchoolMaster (Tyler Technologies) has certified for AzEDS Release 1.|
|October 15, 2014||Updated AzEDS API Release 2 Version 2 Use Case Scenarios and Release Notes are now available for download under the Technical Information for Vendors and LEAs tab.|
|September 25, 2014||Updated AzEDS API Release 2 Use Case Scenarios now available below under Technical Information for Vendors and LEAs|
|August 21, 2014||AzEDS Certification Scenarios Document v. 1.1 now available below under Technical Information for Vendors and LEAs|
|July 17, 2014||ASCUS Presentation|
|June 14, 2014||Implementation Letter|
|June 14, 2014||Implementation Letter|
|January 27, 2014||Vendor Kickoff Conference Presentation|
|January 3, 2014||Letter to Vendors|
Every school in Arizona is required to track and report hundreds of pieces of information every week, requiring countless hours of work and ever-increasing financial burden. Once complete, AzEDS will automate the majority of the reporting without compromising privacy or reducing LEA control over student data. AzEDS is a behind-the-scenes system, so most people will never even know they are benefitting from it; however, administrative staff will quickly notice the reduction in hours they spend compiling and submitting data. AzEDS will also enable AZDash to offer near real-time student data.
In 2010, the Arizona Legislature enacted A.R.S. §15-249, which reads as follows:
A. Subject to appropriation of state monies, or receipt of federal monies, private donations or grants from any lawful public or private source for this purpose, the department of education, in coordination with the data governance commission established by section 15-249.01, shall develop and implement the education learning and accountability system to collect, compile, maintain and report student level data for students attending public educational institutions that provide instruction to pupils in preschool programs, kindergarten programs, grades one through twelve and postsecondary educational programs in this state.
On October 19, 2012, the Arizona Data Governance Commission directed ADE to implement the Ed-Fi data model and CEDS data standards; all education data systems must adopt these standards in order to send or receive data from ADE systems.
In January 2014, ADE kicked off the student information system vendor certification phase of AzEDS implementation. Within one year, all major SIS vendors in Arizona had successfully configured their systems to submit data via the AzEDS REST API.
July 29, 2015 marked the first day for live district data submissions to AzEDS. After a two-month pilot window, in October 2015, ADE started transitioning more than 600 districts and charters from SAIS to AzEDS.
By April 2016, more than 2/3 of Arizona local education agencies were actively submitting data via AzEDS. As of April 15, 2016, AzEDS averaged 2 million transactions per day.
How it Works
AzEDS combines the consistency of standardized data elements with the efficiency of a REST API to streamline the submission and consumption of education data in Arizona. As illustrated in the accompanying diagram, the AzEDS process basically works as follows:
- Local education agencies (LEAs — i.e. districts and charters) maintain control of the data collection and submission process using their preferred student information systems. Each LEA decides when to submit their data to ADE (within statutory windows).
- Data submitted via the AzEDS REST API arrives at ADE and checked for transmission errors. Problems with the raw data are immediately logged in reports LEAs can use to rectify the errors.
- Successfully submitted data is then processed by ADE’s rules engine (aka “Integrity”), which carries out logic checks and validates for compliance with applicable requirements.
- Processed data is then stored in the appropriate databases and made available to such applications as School Finance or AZDash. Various reports are also generated to help LEAs align their data with state and federal regulations.