The AELAS program is regularly audited against the AELAS Business Case and monitored for compliance with A.R.S. §15-249. As independent auditors, WestEd and the Center for Educational Leadership and Technology conducted a thorough review of ADE’s efforts in 2013. Supplemental audits take place at regular intervals, providing oversight and direction to agency leadership.
ADE is committed to transparency when it comes to the AELAS program. The following reports are published on the public website:
- Monthly Budget Reports
- Quarterly Performance Reports
- Survey Results (internal and external)
AELAS Business Case
In 2012, the Arizona Department of Education conducted a methodical and comprehensive study of the state of Arizona’s education landscape.
The AELAS Business Case study team was composed of highly qualified educators and technological experts, who together provided ADE with a valuable and unique perspective on the complexity of Arizona’s education data systems.
In 2010, the Arizona Legislature enacted A.R.S. §15-249.
A. Subject to appropriation of state monies, or receipt of federal monies, private donations or grants from any lawful public or private source for this purpose, the department of education, in coordination with the data governance commission established by section 15-249.01, shall develop and implement the education learning and accountability system to collect, compile, maintain and report student level data for students attending public educational institutions that provide instruction to pupils in preschool programs, kindergarten programs, grades one through twelve and postsecondary educational programs in this state.
Click on a thumbnail to learn more.
Learning Management Solution
The statewide learning management solution (LMS) bridges the digital learning gap with centralized management tools for online instruction, collaboration, and professional development.
- Building on the popular Blackboard Learn™ and Blackboard Collaborate™ systems, Arizona’s LMS offers intuitive applications designed to facilitate both classroom and online learning.
- Intuitive content creation tools allow teachers to build dynamic online courses for both live delivery and on-demand access.
- A rich communication suite connects instructors to students—and students to students—through ‘live’ webinar-type classes, virtual office spaces, instant messaging, and even video conferencing.
- The addition of a customized system for delivering and tracking professional development raises the LMS from ‘system’ to ‘solution.’
- Without leaving the familiar LMS environment, teachers easily transition to students pursuing their professional development goals.
- Progress tracking tools and goal-aligned courses ensure that continuing education hours are relevant and recorded.
Statewide Student Information System
The statewide student information system (SSIS) addresses local education agencies’ needs for an affordable, consistent and compliant student information management solution.
- The SSIS saves LEAs money with low, flat per-student fees and a hosted environment.
- All LEAs that opt-in pay the same low rate of $10/student for the first year and $6.50/student/year thereafter.
- Support readily available through ADE, reducing LEAs’ need for tech staff.
- All Arizona LEAs that opt-in gain access to a feature-rich suite of administrative tools.
- License fees are uniform, enabling even the smallest LEAs to support their education missions with state-of-the-art technology.
- Secure hosted environment eliminates need for extensive local infrastructure.
Arizona Education Data Standards
Based on widely adopted CEDS guidelines (Common Education Data Standards), AzEDS is the data standard for Arizona’s education system.
- Using the Ed-Fi data model, AzEDS automates the majority of education reporting without compromising privacy or reducing LEA control over student data.
- By reducing errors and improving efficiency with data collection, AzEDS will help LEAs save $57 million a year.
- Once fully implemented, AzEDS will enable student-level long-term tracking, as well as near real-time student data reporting in AZDash.
AZDash consolidates and presents student performance data in easy-to-use interactive dashboards.
- Leveraging both ADE and LEA data sources ranging from state assessments to individual attendance, AZDash brings breadth and depth to the information available to Arizona educators.
- Intuitive analytical tools allow educators to use data for strategic planning and individual intervention.
- Time-saving dashboards allow teachers to access class-level statistical snapshots in five seconds rather than the five days it used to take.
- Student data is more protected than ever with robust FERPA protections and advanced information security strategies.
ADEConnect provides secure one-click access to ADE applications like AZDash.
- This modern, streamlined CommonLogon replacement consolidates ADE system permissions.
- One login per person provides access to multiple applications
- Seamless integration with existing student information systems
- Decentralized identity management administration places access control in local hands.
- Permissions and roles are set at the local level, where users are known and their roles identified.
- User-level system access reporting is available to LEA administrators.
- ADE-led training and support ensures that access is easy and consistent.
The above periodic table is current as of October 20, 2014. Source: Royal Society of Chemistry’s own awesome interactive periodic table of elements.