Frequently Asked Questions

01. What is Adult Education?

Adult Education assists adults in becoming more skillful in their roles as workers, parents and citizens. In addition to providing instruction in reading, writing, mathematics, science, social studies and English language acquisition, Adult Education prepares adults with career exploration, civics preparation, transition to post-secondary education and employment.

For more information go to:

02. What Adult Education classes are offered?

Adult Education instruction is offered in face-to-face and Internet- based distance learning formats. Classes include:

Adult Basic Education – ABE (Reading, Writing, Mathematics)
Adult Secondary Education – ASE / High School Equivalency (HSE) Test Preparation
English Language Acquisition for Adults – ELAA

For more information go to:

Can I get a duplicate Arizona High School Equivalency Diploma?

 No. Duplicate diplomas are not issued. A diploma is not an official document used for verification. Use your Official HSE Transcript for verification purposes. Additional transcripts can be ordered (see question #8).

For more information go to:

03. How do I enroll in an Adult Education class?

Adult Education classes are available throughout Arizona. Select a program and location that is convenient and contact that program directly for further instructions.

For a list of state authorized Adult Education programs and contact information go to:

04. Do I have to pay a fee to enroll in an Adult Education class?

Classes are tuition free; however, some providers charge a nominal supplemental fee based on income.

For more information, contact the program directly:

05. Who can take the GED Test in Arizona?

The GED Test is available to those who are 16 years of age and older, who do not have a high school diploma, and who are not currently enrolled in school. All examinees must bring two forms of identification.

One form must show a picture, name, date of birth, signature, current address, and be a government-issued ID. In addition, examinees 16 or 17 years of age MUST also provide both an: Official Withdrawal Form from previous school AND a Notarized Letter of Permission from a parent/guardian.

Be sure to contact the Official Testing Center for specific requirements prior to showing up to test.

For more information about the GED Test go to:

06. How and where can I take the GED Test?

GED Testing is computer-based and is administered only at official GED Testing Centers that have been authorized by the national GED Testing Service and approved by the Arizona State GED Administrator. Each Testing Center’s schedule varies.

For more information go to: 

<!– –>

07. Is there a fee to take the GED Test?

Yes. Since fees vary by center, check with the official GED Testing Center of your choice for their current instructions, schedules and fees.

For more information go to:

08. How do I get a copy of my HSE transcript after I’ve taken the GED Test?

After passing the GED Test, your High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma and transcript will be mailed to you. These are important documents. Keep them in a safe place. Your diploma is for you to keep and display and your official HSE Transcript is your ticket to college, vocational school, employment or the military. The HSE Transcript is a formal State of Arizona record of your accomplishment.

Additional copies of your official HSE Transcript can be requested. For more information about obtaining your HSE Transcript go to:

09. What happens if I lose my HSE transcript?

If you do misplace your HSE Transcript, you may contact the State Adult Education Services office at (602) 258-2410, option #2.

For more information about Transcripts go to:


10. How can I earn a High School Equivalency Diploma in Arizona?

A High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma can only be earned in Arizona by passing the GED test.

For more information about earning your High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma, go to