The mission is to ensure that all schools in Arizona receive competent technical assistance in order to meet the needs of children who have sustained traumatic brain injuries.
(a) Means an acquired injury to the brain that is caused by an external physical force and that results in total or partial functional disability or psychosocial impairment, or both, that adversely affects educational performance.
(b) Applies to open or closed head injuries resulting in mild, moderate, or severe impairments in one or more areas, including cognition, language, memory, attention, reasoning, abstract thinking, judgment, problem solving, sensory, perceptual and motor abilities, psychosocial behavior, physical function, information processing, and speech.
(c) Does not include brain injuries that are congenital or degenerative or brain injuries induced by birth trauma. (A.R.S. § 15-761)
The determination of eligibility for special education is based on an evaluation pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-766 and the following requirements:
- The student has an acquired open or closed injury to the brain that was caused by an external physical force that has resulted in total or partial functional disability or psychosocial impairment, or both, that adversely affects performance in the educational environment. Resulting impairments include such areas of disability as cognition, language, memory, attention, reasoning, behaviors, physical function, information processing, and speech.
- The injury is not congenital or degenerative or induced by birth trauma.
- The injury has been verified by a doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy.
- The student was evaluated in all areas related to the suspected disability.
All training is provided by Empowerment Research, LLC. Please contact Dr. Sue Wolf with questions regarding registration.
Brain Injury Resources
- Arizona Governor’s Council on Spinal and Head Injuries – 602-774-9148
- Brain Injury Alliance of AZ – 602-508-8024 1-888-500-9165
- Brain Injury Association of America – 1-800-444-6443
- National Brain Injury Information Center (for Brain Injury Information Only) – 1-800-444-6443
- United States Brain Injury Alliance – 1-703-960-6500
- State Vocational Rehabilitation Program (VR), Brain Injry Consultant, Kathleen Cady
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Website fact sheet about traumatic brain injury and concussions
- Free online training for coaches regarding concussions
- Order a free brochure, Facts about Concussion and Brain Injury (in English and Spanish)
- National Association of State Head Injury Administrators
Back to Special Projects