To ensure that all public education agencies (PEAs) in Arizona are able to receive quality technical assistance in the planning, development, organization, implementation, and evaluation of special education secondary transition services.
Please visit the 2013 Transition Conference website - http://www.azed.gov/special-education/2013-transition-conference.
Required Components of Transition
Beginning not later than the first IEP to be in effect when the child turns 16, or younger if determined appropriate by the IEP team, the following components must be included in the IEP:
- Measurable Postsecondary Goals (MPGs) - Measurable goal statements in the areas of education/training, employment, and when appropriate, independent living
- Updated Annually - MPGs updated annually
- Based on Age-Appropriate Transition Assessments – Assessments provide information on the student’s strengths, needs, preferences, and interests and are used to write achievable, measurable postsecondary goals
- Transition Services = Coordinated Set of Activities – Transition-related services or activities that reasonably enable the student to achieve his/her MPGs
- Transition Services = Course of Study – Courses that focus on improving academic and functional achievement to reasonably enable the student to achieve his/her MPGs
- Annual Goals – Annual IEP goals that reasonably enable the student to achieve his/her MPGs
- Student Invitation - Students at least 16 years of age must be invited to the IEP meeting when postsecondary transition services are being discussed
- Outside Agency Invitation (with prior consent) – A representative of another agency that is likely to provide and/or pay for transition services who has been invited to the meeting after consent from the parent or student who has reached the age of majority
Additional postsecondary transition components include:
- Transfer of Rights at Age of Majority - A statement informing the student that his/her rights will transfer to the student at age 18 (must be present in IEPs by age 17)
- Summary of Performance (SoP) – A summary of academic achievement and functional performance, including recommendations to assist an exiting student in meeting his/her MPGs for students whose eligibility terminates due to graduation from high school with a regular diploma or due to exceeding the age eligibility for FAPE under State law
Event Announcements & What’s New
- Please visit the Transition Conference website – http://www.azed.gov/special-education/2013-transition-conference.
- Please visit the new Post School Outcomes Survey page.
- Arizona Disability Benefits Calculator -
- Arizona Disability Benefits 101 – An online tool used to identify the impact of employment on disability benefits.
- Arizona ECAP and the IEP
- Secondary Transition Mentoring Project Brochure - New!
Resources and Websites
Click on the links below for additional secondary transition services resources.
Public Education Agency Resources
Technical Assistance Centers
Career & Assessment Resources
Post School Outcomes Survey Resources - New!
State Agency Websites
Click here for a map of Transition Specialists’ County Assignments.
| Andi Asel
Tel: (602) 542-3153
Tel: (602) 364-0642
Tel: (602) 542-7882
| Kay Schreiber
(College and Career Coordinator)
Tel: (602) 542-5353
Tel: (602) 542-3855
Fax: (602) 542-5404
Tel: (602) 542-9412
Fax: (602) 542-5404