An Inter-Agency Agreement is generally between a School District and a Charter School, which allows the School District to sponsor or serve a Charter School with the following: National School Lunch Program (NSLP), School Breakfast Program (SBP), Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), and After School Care Snack Program (ASCS). An Inter-Agency Agreement outlines the responsibilities of both Public Entities to ensure they are meeting all the Code of Federal Regulations around the Child Nutrition Programs.
Inter-Agency agreements must be submitted to the ADE office where a School District operates the NSLP, SBP and SFSP in one or more sites in another School District. In such a case one District would administer the school meals program for both School Districts. The administering District is responsible for submitting the contract to ADE.
The District must enter into a written agreement, which clearly specifies the responsibilities each district/charter has in administering the NSLP/SBP/SFSP/ASCS, including, but not limited to the following:
- The length of time the contract will be in effect
- Who is responsible for point-of-service counts
- Who will handle the free and reduced price application process
- Who will receive and approve applications
- Who will handle the verification process
- Who will assume the responsibility for any over-claims identified during a review or audit
- Who will perform the required edit checks
- Who will ultimately be responsible for meal count and claiming accountability
- The administering district includes the sites/schools in the application/contract with the ADE.
A signed copy of the Agreement must be provided to the ADE for approval. The School District must receive approval of the Agreement before food service operations can begin. Each School District must complete an approved on-line application before the Sponsor can receive reimbursement for claims. Each Public Entity must keep a copy of the signed contract and each amendment.
ADE has an Inter-Agency template SFAs can use and modify to meet their specific situation. This document can be modified but not limited for the following circumstances:
- When a School District will be Sponsoring a Charter School as a Site and the School District accepts overall financial responsibility for all aspects of the ADE audits;
- When a School District will be catering NSLP to a Charter School. The Charter School will be overall financially responsible for claims and applications.
- When a School District is contracting with a Food Service Management Company and the School District will cater meals to the Charter School using the FSMC. The Charter School will be financially responsible for the ADE audits.
Inter-Agency Agreement (IAA) Templates:
- Inter-Agency Agreement Checklist
- IAA Template 2018 Instructions
- IAA Template 2018
- IAA Catering Template 2018 Instructions
- IAA Catering Template 2018
For more information please contact:
Contracts Management Officer
Health and Nutrition Services