Please note: expense reports will no longer be accepted via fax.
You may submit expense reports to ESA staff using one of the following methods:
Scan and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
1535 W. Jefferson St. Bin #41
Phoenix, AZ 85007
If you do not receive an email confirmation after submitting via the upload form, please contact ESA (602-364-1969 or ESA@azed.gov). **Please submit your report only one time to avoid delays in funding** **Submitting expense reports late will delay your funds**
All Expense Report submissions must be received by ADE on the corresponding dates and time to prevent delay of the next quarterly disbursement. If the expenditures are audited and discrepancies in the purchase of non-approved products or services are found, the department will notify the holder and take appropriate action.
|QUARTERS||EXPENSE REPORT DUE DATE||NEXT DISBURSEMENT DATE|
|1st quarter’s expenditures||September 30||October 15-October 30|
|2nd quarter’s expenditures||December 20||January 15-January 30|
|3rd quarter’s expenditures||March 31||April 15- April 30|
|4th quarter’s expenditures||June 20||July 15-July 30|
Part of the responsibilities that an ESA parent assumes is to report spending of ESA funds to the Department of Education on a quarterly basis. ESA funds may only be spent on specific allowable expenditures authorized by statute. The Arizona Department of Education (ADE) is authorized to audit these expenditures. In order to comply with these statutory requirements, funds are deposited into each ESA on a quarterly basis; ESA holders must submit expenditure documentation for verification prior to the next quarter’s disbursement according to the submission schedule included in these instructions. Items that MUST be submitted EVERY QUARTER are as follows:
- Expense Report & Attestation Form – This is a printable tracking log provided by ADE for parents to track their quarterly expenditures. Fill in the form with your quarterly expenses and submit it as the cover sheet. You can also fill in the form, save it as a PDF and submit it via email. This document includes the checklist to make sure you have everything you need to submit.
- Itemized Receipts – Copies of itemized receipts for each expenditure listed on the ESA account statement must be submitted. Receipts must clearly identify the items purchased or services provided (reference ESA Update for specific details).
- ESA Bank Issued Statements – Holders must submit copies of all statements received in the mail from Bank of America for the current quarter. If official statements do not cover the entire expenditure period, printed copies of online account activity may be submitted
- Credential Documentation & Service Agreement Form – Statute requires educational therapists, tutors and paraprofessionals to be licensed or accredited in order for the expenditure to qualify. Holders must submit a copy of the relevant credential and service agreement form to substantiate the expense. This documentation only needs to be submitted at the time of the initial expense. For paraprofessionals, only the individual’s credentials must be submitted.
** A Reminder To All Parents:ESA Policy states that a cardholder may be removed if:
- The applicant parent or qualified student fails to submit two or more complete and timely expense reports in a contract year.
- The applicant parent or qualified student fails to submit one complete and accurate expense report beyond thirty days of its required submission date.
Failure to do so will result in the Department exercising its authority under Arizona Revised Statutes §15-2403(C)(1) to retake possession of all remaining funds resulting in termination of the ESA contract and removal from the ESA program.