Part of the responsibilities that an ESA parent assumes is to report spending of ESA funds to the Department of Education on a quarterly basis. Empowerment Scholarship Account (ESA) funds may only be spent on specific allowable expenditures authorized by statute. The Arizona Department of Education (ADE) is authorized to audit these expenditures. In order to comply with these statutory requirements, Funds are deposited into each ESA on a quarterly basis; ESA Holders must submit expenditure documentation for verification prior to the next quarter’s disbursement according to the submission schedule included in these instructions. Items that must be submitted are as follows:
- ESA Bank Issued Statements: Holders must submit copies of all statements received in the mail from Bank of America for the current quarter. If official statements do not cover the entire expenditure period, printed copies of online account activity may be submitted.
- Receipts – Copies of receipts for each expenditure listed on the ESA statements must be submitted. Receipts should clearly identify the item purchased or service provided.
- Credential Documentation – Statute requires educational therapists and tutors to be licensed or accredited in order for the expenditure to qualify. Holders must submit a copy of the relevant credential to substantiate the expense. This documentation only needs to be submitted at the time of the initial expense.
- EV Expense Form- This is a printable tracking log provided by ADE for parents to track their quarterly expenditures. The form details all allowable expenditures under the program for simple addition and submission. Fill in the form with your quarterly expenses and submit it as the cover sheet along with your receipts and other documentation.
|QUARTERS||EXPENDITURE SUBMISSION DATE||NEXT DISBURSEMENT DATE|
|1st quarter’s expenditures||September 30||October 15-October 25|
|2nd quarter’s expenditures||December 31||Januray 15-January 25|
|3rd quarter’s expenditures||March 31||April 15-April 25|
|4th quarter’s expenditures||June 30||July 15-July 25|
*Must submit 4th quarter in order to be considered for ESA renewal for 2013-2014 school year.
All EV submissions must be received by ADE on the corresponding dates to prevent delay of the next quarterly disbursement. If the expenditures are audited and find discrepencies in the purchase of non-approved products or services the department will notify the holder and take appropriate action.
Submitting Expense Reports
You may submit expense reports to ESA staff any of the following ways:
1) Scan and e-mail to ESA@azed.gov (To ensure receipt by ESA staff you should receive a response e-mail acknowledging receipt.)
2) Mail to:Empowerment Scholarship Account Program 1535 West JeffersonStreet Bin #41 Phoenix, AZ 85007
3) Fax: available upon request.