Recent changes to E-Rate technology planning requirements and the elimination of the Enhancing Education through Technology federal grant, also known as Title II-D, have generated the need to revise Arizona Department of Education’s (ADE) LEA technology planning requirements. The primary change is that LEAs only need to seek ADE approval of their technology plan if they are applying for reimbursement of Priority Two E-Rate services during that school year. LEAs who are not applying for reimbursement of Priority Two services from E-Rate, but who still wish to have ADE review and approve their technology plans, may also submit their technology plans for review and approval by ADE. All LEAs who are applying for Priority One services from E-rate, must comply with the Children’s Internet Protect Act (CIPA) requirements. This included updating your Internet Safety Policies prior to July 1, 2013.
An LEA who is seeking approval of their technology plan from ADE is required to do the following:
- Complete a Needs Assessment using the template available on the ADE Technology Planning website (http://www.azed.gov/educational-technology/technology-plans/)
- Add at least one “TECH” tagged action step to each LEA goal in ALEAT (all action steps must be tagged as TECH)
- Establish a technology literacy goal in ALEAT (Goal 6) with at least one “TECH” tagged action step for each of the four (4) required strategies (all action steps must be tagged as TECH)
- Upload signed CIPA form into Goal One in ALEAT
- Include the required 2 strategies and “TECH” tagged action steps for CIPA in Goal One in ALEAT
- Send a request for a 3-year tech plan approval letter with the Needs Assessment attached to email request at email@example.com
- Once you receive a tech plan approval letter from ADE, save ALL documents in your E-rate notebook for 6 years
Once an LEA has completed the #1-5 items above, it may submit the technology plan to ADE for approval by attaching the technology needs assessment template to an email and sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of “<Insert LEA Name> Request for Technology Plan Approval”.
Templates for technology plans:
Please note that the following templates should be included with your technology but are not required to be submitted to ADE.
LEA Profile & Contact Information Template (Mar. 2011)
Technology Vision & Mission Statements Template
Tech Committee & Plan Evaluation Template
Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) Certification (Must be uploaded into Goal One in ALEAT’s Continuous Improvement Plan)
For those applying for Priority One E-rate services, your Internet Safety Policies must be updated to meet FCC CIPA requirements prior to July 1, 2012.
For additional information about these changes, please visit our technology planning webpage at http://www.azed.gov/educational-technology/technology-plans/ or contact the Ed Tech team at email@example.com or 602-542-7884.