The 21st Century Community Learning Center team focuses on assisting our Arizona grantees in building and sustaining comprehensive afterschool programs. In order to continuously provide better assistance, a variety of fiscal and programmatic grant tools have been complied and made available on-line.
Meeting Grant Requirements
Upon an announced or unannounced site visit, ADE will request to see the following required records from the site. Records need to be kept site specific. New Fiscal Record binders are to be created and updated each fiscal year of the program.
- Complete the Program-At-A-Glance form using the information in your original approved grant application.
- Provide copies of a syllabus/lesson plans for each class offered.
- Provide a copy of the Summary of Classes report submitted in January and June.
Monthly Expenditures Spreadsheet
- Provide a monthly spreadsheet that identifies expenditures by budget line with current balance. Information on spreadsheet must show vendor name and/or employee name with dollar amount.
- Monthly Expenditure Spreadsheet should be available from the District Business Office.
- All expenditures must be approved in awarded grant budget prior to incurring expense.
- 21st CCLC Site Coordinator should keep track of all expenditures charged to the grant by budget line and be aware of current balances.
- Provide copies of all purchase orders with dates, proper signatures and copies of itemized receipts attached.
- Provide copies of purchase orders for purchased services with a copy of the paid invoice attached that shows actual services rendered and payment. Provide a copy of any contracts for purchased professional services.
- 21st CCLC Site Coordinator should review and approve all expenditures prior to processing.
- Provide copies of timesheets for each employee paid out of the grant by pay period.
- Employee timesheets should be completely filled out including dates (month/day/year) with proper signatures.
- Employees paid by stipend must attach back-up documentation which shows dates, actual hours worked and services performed during time period.
- Employee timesheets should match agency hiring forms such as a Personnel Action Request Form (PAR).
- Attach copies of student attendance rosters, by class, to each corresponding timesheet.
- Student attendance rosters must include: Class Name, Teacher Name, Student Name and Dates of Class (month/day/year).
- Student attendance rosters must be kept current by class.
- For Annual Reporting purposes, student level data (SAIS) will be required for each attendee.
Time and Effort Reporting
The Federal Government (U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Circular A-87, Cost Principles for State, Local, and Indian Tribal Governments ) requires all employees, including teachers, paraprofessionals, and other staff that are paid with federal funds to document the time and effort they spend within the program. The portion of the federally paid salary should be reflective of the actual activity, not budgeted, the individual has put forth for that federal program. Time and effort reporting is required when any part of an individual’s salary is charged to a federal program or used as match for a federal program. (See Circular No. A-87.8. Compensation for personal services )
Federal regulation requires that any salaries and benefits charged to a federal award(s) must be based on documentation that meets the following criteria in order to be allowable charges to the awards(s):
- The employee’s time must be documented in writing
- The documentation should reflect the actual time spent by the employee on activities of the federal program(s) being charged
- The period covered by the documentation may not exceed one month unless an approved substitute system is in place
- The documentation should account for all of the empolyee’s time for the period covered (including state/local activities)
- The documentation must be signed by the employee and the employee’s suervisor. This requirement applies to all federal awards and sub-awards, including those received directly from the federal goverment, unless specifically exempted by the Office of Managment and Budget (OMB)
Refer to LEA auditor for additional guidance on Time and Effort reporting.
Business Rules Requirements
ADE Business Rules - Applications, Indirect Cost Rate, Amendments , Cash Management, Completion Reports, Audit Information
Cost Principles Matrix
The following summary is provided for your convenience and as a “guide” only. ADE accepts no responsibility for the interpretation of the cost principles as outlined below. Grantees should consult the complete set of applicable cost principles to determine allowability and unallowability of costs prior to expending funds. For a complete list go to www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars. All costs must be budgeted and approved on the grant application prior to expenditure. Some costs require specific prior approval in the application, in which case the line item must be specifically budgeted and approved by ADE prior to expenditure.
ADE Grants Management
See Fund Alert at: http://www.ade.az.gov/gme/