DATA MANAGEMENT ALERT
FY23 Data Reporting Updates Document Now Available
ESS Data Management is pleased to announce the FY23 Data Reporting Updates document is now available in the ESS Data Management Toolkit located on the ESS Data Management website. This document outlines important changes for SPED Data Reporting for FY23 including AzEDS and ESS applications overseen by ESS Data Management. Most notably the following changes are for AzEDS reporting in FY23:
New SPED14 Exit Code
A new exit code for Preschool Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) is available: SPED14 (No longer eligible for PS Special Education). This exit code will capture the scenario for Preschool Students only where:
- Student is not a dropout (SPED07) as Preschool is not required.
- Student is not a transfer to regular education (SPED01) as the enrollment does not continue.
- Student is not a withdrawal by parent (SPED10) as the IEP team has made the determination that SPED services are no longer needed.
Modifications to LRE E Codes
To simplify data reporting for children with disabilities placed into a residential treatment center (RTC), ESS will be merging the LRE codes of EA, EB, and EC into one code. Children placed into RTC can be initiated by a state placing agency (SPA) or a public education agency (PEA). These two scenarios are reported with different E codes to represent them accurately. Below is a brief description of the LRE codes as they exist in AzEDS for FY22:
- E – represents a placement into an RTC initiated by a PEA when the IEP team has determined the RTC is appropriate for educational purposes
- EA, EB, EC – represents a placement into an RTC initiated by a SPA for care, safety, and treatment and involves the PEA to address educational services while the child remains in the RTC
EA, EB, EC details the type of educational environment in regular school campuses which was represented prior to the placement of an RTC. This detail is not needed any further and as such, this code will just be modified into one value separate of E which will be ES. The technical specifics of these values in the FY23 AzEDS Use Case 8.0 document. Beginning FY23, ESS will only have 2 available E code SPED Programs:
- E: Public or Private Residential Facility for greater than 50% of the school day placed by an IEP team decision.
- ES: Public or Private Residential Facility for greater than 50% of the school day placed by another state agency (not an IEP team decision).
Applicable SPED Integrity Rules and Reports that validate SPED Exit and LRE Codes will be updated for these changes.
Any questions regarding the upcoming FY23 Data Reporting Updates please feel free to contact [email protected].