Secondary ELA Book Study: Fundamentals of Literacy Instruction and Assessment, Grades 6-12 - Chapter 3
- Thu, Jan 27 2022 - Thu, Jan 27 2022 • Virtual
- Middle School High School Academic Standards English Language Arts
Join the ADE English Language Arts Team for a FREE Secondary ELA Focused 10-week book study! Thursdays from 4:30-5:30 MST, January 13-March 17. Everyone is welcome!
Text: Fundamentals of Literacy Instruction & Assessment, Grades 6-12 by Martha C. Hougen, Ph.D.
To order: Brookes Publishing (20% Discount Code from Brookes Publishing: ADE2021)
Prepare educators to strengthen the literacy skills of students in Grades 6–12 with this adolescent literacy textbook, based on current research, standards, and recommended instructional practices. This expertly organized volume covers all the fundamentals of how reading and writing skills develop in older students and how to teach literacy within key academic content areas: language arts, math, science, and history. This text includes classroom examples, helpful objectives and summaries, and sample lesson plans.
- 1/13 Chapter 1 "Teaching Literacy and Content"
- 1/20 Chapter 2 "Social Emotional Consequences of Reading Disabilities"
- 1/27 Chapter 3 "Features of Effective Instruction"
- 2/3 Chapter 4 "Academic Vocabulary Development"
- 2/10 Chapters 5 and 6 "Fluency Development" and "Best Practices for Reading Comprehension"
- 2/17 Chapter 7 "Learning to Write and Writing to Learn"
- 2/24 Chapters 8 and 9 "Text Complexity" and "Disciplinary Literacy"
- 3/3 Chapter 16 "RTI/MTSS in Secondary Schools"
- 3/10 Chapters 10-14 "Disciplinary Literacy in ELA, History, Science, Math, and the Arts"
- 3/17 - Chapter 15 - "Teaching Adolescent English Language Learners"
Participants must register for each week’s session individually. All participants who register in EMS, read their chapter(s), and attend the book study will be given 2-hours PD credit. Certificates will be in EMS and no record of attendance will be emailed.
Zoom link will be individually emailed to registrants the day of the webinar. Registration closes at 10 AM on Thursdays.
Feel free to share this flyer with others!
DateThu, Jan 27 2022 - Thu, Jan 27 2022
Time4:30PM - 5:30PM
- Middle School
- High School