Training and Professional Standards
Training for School Nutrition Professionals
Check out the newly released Program Year 2020 Training Curriculum & Brochure for Arizona School Nutrition Professionals (June 2019- January 2020)!
The School Nutrition Program offers training in a variety of options, including In-person classes, Web-based Training, and How-To Guides. All of these training are additional ways to meet the new Professional Standards training requirements. Click the below titles for the type of training you wish to complete.
Regional Trainings (In-Person)
|Director’s Track: Learning the National School Lunch Program||Arizona School Garden Sustainability Workshop||Drop-In Workshop: Preparing for Verification||Drop-In Workshop: Submitting the Verification Report|
|Director’s Track: Updates for the School Year||Drop-In Workshop: Preparing for Verification||USDA Foods SY 2020 myFOODS System Training||The Business of Farm to Child Nutrition Programs|
|Menu Planning Boot Camp||Procurement A-Z||USDA Foods SY 2020 myFOODS System Training|
|USDA Foods SY 2020 myFOODS System Training||Student Eligibility: Am I Doing It Right?|
|USDA Foods SY 2020 myFOODS System Training|
Professional Development Opportunities (In-Person)
Live & Recorded Webinars
*Review these steps before watching a webinar in Blackboard for NSLP.
Staying on Track Webinars – For Directors
This webinar series will review the activities that should be happening each month to help directors and program staff stay on track with program requirements. Please note: the webinar will follow the outline provided in ADE’s Monthly Checklist. It is recommended to review it prior to the webinar. There will be designated time where the facilitator will be available to answer questions about all program operation topics.
- November 5, 2019 (1:30pm-2:30pm): Register Here
- October 2, 2019 Recorded Webinar & Webinar Slides
- September 3, 2019 Recorded Webinar & Webinar Slides
- August 6, 2019: Recorded Webinar & Webinar Slides
- July 2, 2019: Recorded Webinar & Webinar Slides
General Content Webinars
- Local Wellness Policy Assessment: Making it Meaningful
October 22, 2019 (1:30pm-2:30pm): Register Here!
Do you feel confused by the local wellness policy assessment, or wonder why it is required? This webinar will provide an overview of what types of goals and assessments are required for local wellness policies. We will also discuss how to make sure your assessment is meaningful and useful for your program.
- Preschool Meal Pattern for School Food Authorities
November 14, 2019 (1:30pm-2:30pm): Register Here!
Are you unclear on how the new preschool meal pattern applies to your preschool menus? In this webinar, we will review the differences between the preschool and K-5 meal patterns to ensure you are planning compliant and age-appropriate meals for children ages 1-5.
- Submitting the Verification Summary Report
December 19, 2019 (1:30pm-2:30pm) & January 16, 2020 (1:30pm-2:30pm): Register here!
Are you ready to submit the Verification Summary Report? This webinar will utilize breakout rooms to allow attendees to work with an ADE School Nutrition Programs Specialist to submit their report. There will be two sessions: one for LEAs that are required to conduct verification activities, and one for LEAs who are not required to conduct verification activities. Attendees must have permissions to CNP Verification through ADEConnect at the time of the webinar.
- Promoting Your Child Nutrition Programs
January 28, 2020 (1:30pm-2:30pm): Register here!
Effective marketing can increase awareness for how your Child Nutrition Programs benefit students and the school community. Attend this webinar to hear success stories from Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in Arizona and across the country and learn about new ways to promote your programs.
ADE Online Training Library
Spanish Translation for ADE Online Training Library
USDA Professional Standards for School Nutrition Professionals
- a minimum amount of annual training hours for all school nutrition program directors, managers, and staff. Required training topic areas will vary according to position and job requirements.
- minimum hiring standards for school nutrition program directors hired on or after July 1, 2015.
ADE Designing your Employee Training Plan
- Online Course: Designing Your Employee Training Plan: A Course for School Nutrition Directors
- Designing your Employee Training Plan Workbook (August 2016)
- Post Assessment
- SP 38-2016: Questions & Answers (Q&As) on the Final Rule “Professional Standards for State and Local School Nutrition Programs Personnel as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids
- USDA Professional Standards Webpage– for USDA guidance and regulations
- USDA Professional Standards for School Nutrition Personnel (Proposed Rule PPT Feb 2014)
- Final Rule: Professional Standards for School Nutrition Programs Personnel as Required by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010
ADE Hiring Tracking Forms (*only required if Director was hired on or after July 1, 2015)
ADE Training Tracking Forms (*required for all school nutrition, regardless of hire date)
USDA Professional Standards Training Tracker Tool
- Download Tool (requires MS Access)
- This free tool is available to download and will let users record the annual training hours for all state directors of school nutrition programs, state director of distributing agencies, school nutrition program directors, managers and staff.
- *For users without MS Access, you can visit the Professional Standards webpage and download the Download Installer.
- Users Guide
- If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Training Tracker Help Desk:[email protected] or call 1-800-571-0432 (8am-5pm/EST, Monday-Friday)
- Webinar: Click here to learn How to Use the Professional Training Tracker
- Professional Standards Learning Objectives (Training Learning Codes)
- USDA Database of Professional Standards Trainings
- Institute of Child Nutrition – Access online, no-cost, online trainings!
- Produce Safety Videos (These five, minute-long, social-media friendly videos educate foodservice professionals on “tricks of the trade” to help them keep produce safe and at a high quality.)
- A Flash of Food Safety (The videos, available in English and Spanish, address five food safety topics: Handwashing: Why to Wash Your Hands, Handwashing: How to Wash Your Hands, Calibrating a Thermometer: Ice Water Method, Calibrating a Thermometer: Boiling Water Method, and Active Cooling with a Chill Stick.)
- Blank Certificate of Completion– (optional) ADE has provided a sample blank template for LEAs to customize when wanting to provide training certificates to their staff.